New diamond dove sitting on bottom of cage

Pallen
Pip
Pip

New diamond dove sitting on bottom of cage

Post by Pallen » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:21 pm

I purchased a diamond dove about three days ago and up till this afternoon everything has seemed normal. She has been jumping from perch to perch, eating and drinking just fine and cooing up a storm when my girlfriend and I are present in the room. This afternoon when I got back from work I found her sitting on the bottom of her cage not wanting to move at all or making any sounds and will alow me to touch her, which before now she would try and fly away. I was able to pick her up and hold her without much resistance and she would just want to rest in my hand. I currently placed her in on a small wash cloth to rest on while she still refuses to move. When she does move it is with a wobbly walk and doesn't respond to noises such as recordings of other doves. She is currently without a companion but was looking to get one in the near future. I have had other birds in the past but I do know that doves sometimes like to be on the ground but this seems abnormal to me. Does anyone reconize this behavior or have any suggestions to help her out?

Thank you for any suggestions!

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: New diamond dove sitting on bottom of cage

Post by Hilary » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:15 pm

Welcome to the Forum! Sorry to hear your girl is acting oddly. My diamonds spend most of their time on the bottom of their cages, but they do react when I reach in. You've seen her eating and drinking so finding the food and water don't seem to be the problem. Are you topping off her food? Mine are picky about what seeds they'll eat, so can be hungry even when surrounded by the seed they've tossed all over the bottom of the cage. Is she fluffed, or just sitting? Have you tried adding a heat source to the cage (clamp light, for example) in case she's been catching a draft?
Hilary

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:38 pm

I agree with Hilary that even though Diamond doves usually spend a fair amount of time on the bottom of the cage, the fact that she is not trying to get away from you is unusual. Since you have only had her for three days, I would wonder if she is eating and drinking enough to stay healthy. A heat lamp can do wonders for a bird that is a bit off.

Welcome to the forum, though it is not under the best of circumstances. If you put your general location in your profile, it makes it easier to answer locale-specific questions later on. Please keep us posted on how she is doing.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Pallen
Pip
Pip

Post by Pallen » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:29 am

Unfortunately she passed away this morning. Thank you for all of your suggestions.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:21 am

I'm so sorry to hear that.
Hilary

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:44 am

So sorry you lost her. Since you just got her three days ago, can you contact the seller?
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org