Do quail need houses?

bcfcciderhead
Hatchling
Hatchling

Do quail need houses?

Post by bcfcciderhead » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:27 pm

Maybe a silly question but I intend to keep some Japanese quail in my aviary with the finches.
Will these fellows need somewhere to hide, like a nest box, but of course on the floor, and what about perches, what height etc

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Do quail need houses?

Post by lovezebs » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:00 pm

Hello.

For some reason I couldn't tag you (should let Sally , know about that).

Anyway, there are no silly questions, so ask away....

Regretably, I don't own Quails (Japanese or otherwise ).

However, I did find a bit of information for you here and there.

Japanese Quail, are reputed to be hardy birds.
Incubation lasts 17-18 days, and a hen can lay 200 (yes, 200 eggs in her first year :shock: :shock: )

Males, will fight (so that's something to be aware of).

They are considered mature at 6 weeks.

Quails don't need perches, as they stay on the ground (and don't like climbing)

If you give them a house, it pretty much needs to be at ground level, or offer them a little ramp (for getting in and out).

Apparently they don't necessarily build nests, but will hide their eggs somewhere on the ground.

They do appreciate some conifer branches or something similar for cover. They also like a few small logs, raised off the ground by a couple of bricks (so that they can hide under or behind.).

It's also suggested, that a dust bath is a must, to keep them both clean and entertained.

When they're startled, they fly straight up, so I'm assuming you don't want to keep them in a low in closure (or you'll need to supply them with little helmets, lol).

Please keep us updated, and good luck.

P.S. Hopefully, some members who have Quails will chime in with more information.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

bcfcciderhead
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by bcfcciderhead » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:03 pm

Thanks for the reply, they will have a 7ft tall flight so helmets shouldn't be needed lol
I will make some hiding places in the inside part of the aviary.
Some good information, thanks

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:16 pm

Let me know when you get those first 200 eggs.... I want a picture, lol.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

FLDoc
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by FLDoc » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:11 pm

When I had button quail in my finch aviary, I gave then a medium sized plastic igloo-type house as you find in reptile or hamster cages. They seemed to like it.
Stu

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:43 am

When I had bobwhite quail I put a upside down wooden box with a door in the aviary. They would lay their eggs in there.
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:13 am

I have some button quail in my outdoor aviary. They have a little wooden house that I built and they totally ignore it. I have a piece of white PVC pipe about 5" long and about 4"wide that was laying in the corner of the aviary and that seems to be their favorite "egg hiding" place. They also build nest in the grassy area right out in the open, so I have to be careful where I'm walking!

They have the CUTEST babies you will ever see! I went from a pair to 25 in no time flat! So be prepared!!!

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

bcfcciderhead
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by bcfcciderhead » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:41 pm

Thanks the replys guys it all helps.
I will continue with building some wooden houses but after ready the replys may just put about anything in there for them, got bamboo and tall grasses planted outside so will keep an eye out in there.

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Colt » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:33 am

They may also appreciate lookout posts like a low log or something similar they can jump up on to.

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove
Bourke & Scarlet-chested Parakeet

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brushy-C ... 0659711916

StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by StodOne » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:34 am

I am no quail expert , but I know that their eggs (non fertile ones) are very tasty , so if I were you bcfcciderhead I would stimulate her to lay eggs , hehe xD
Oh and lovezebs , you dont need to click the tag icon you can just copy paste his name and add @ at the start of his name. :D

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:40 pm

I prefer the Chinese Painted Quail (Buttons) to the Japanese Coturnix because in a mixed aviary they seem to be less hyper and less aggressive toward each other and other birds. I'm always concerned about the safety of finch fledglings that wind up on the floor for a few days.

I currently have 23 quail...all quite tame. They huddle together in several colonies at night and like to lay eggs in secluded brushy areas but they also drop eggs just about anywhere they want. The babies are so active (they run around a lot) that the hens have trouble keeping them warm in the first week...so for best results I use an incubator with an auto egg turner and a fish tank brooder when I want more birds. The abundance of quail eggs also makes good egg food when boiled with chicken eggs and added to the commercial nestling food blend I use for the finches and canaries.

They eat just about anything that falls on the floor and particularly like fruit and veggies, all kinds of seed and fresh growing turf. The turf is in a "green feeder" which basically a 2' x 4' wood frame with 1/2 inch welded wire over the top so they can't pull the grass out by the roots. Any kind of bugs or worms from the compost pit are another favorite. I'm working on a way to dispense live worms from a suspended bucket of compost with holes in the bottom.

Bamboo and grasses will provide plenty of hiding places. They will also like to poke around a few small boulders. For water, all my ground birds have 3 automatic water devices to choose from that were designed for chickens. They also get all the left over egg food from the finch and canary "treat trays". There are plenty of places for dust baths but the one they like the best is a 2' square tray filled with Diatomaceous Earth. That tray was made with a 1/2" plywood floor and a 2"x2" rim to hold the dust in. Your quail will need a dry, weather protected area for rainy days. Mine don't seem to know when to come in so I occasionally have to herd them and confine them to a drier part of the aviary.

Best of luck with your new quail... Fun birds to keep!
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.