Dove with a deformed beak.

StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Dove with a deformed beak.

Post by StodOne » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:58 pm

A few pairs of doves made their home in my neighborhood and I have "tamed" them a bit by giving them seeds and what not ..
They even get on my hand :D but there is one dove that has the upper part of the beak is twisted sideways and longer then the lower part of the beak , it makes it hard for it to eat , even from my hand .
She can easily eat when i throw the seeds on the soil.
I wanted to ask if I can even trim its beak and if I can how do I do it , I will capture it and try to do it so it can live its life a little bit easier, Thank you!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Dove with a deformed beak.

Post by Sally » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:56 pm

You can try to trim the beak a little at a time using nail clippers or cuticle nippers. Good luck with it, it probably won't be easy with a wild bird.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by StodOne » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:02 am

Sally Yes it won't be easy , but he is quite tamed and gets on my hand , I will just have to make a plan on how to catch him when he is in my hand , which is not easy , as soon as I move my hand a bit he flies off :/

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Post by monotwine » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:40 am

I'd be hesitant to trim a wild birds beak if you don't know the extent of the "injury or deformation".

Is there not a wildlife sanctuary or such you could consult? Perhaps send them a picture. OR if you know a "tame" vet or such that could look at a picture.

Sometimes if the bird has grown up with the problem they adjust to it quite happily. Clipping may make it look better, but without understanding the source of the problem it could lead to bigger issues.

StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by StodOne » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:06 pm

monotwine I don't know it seems as if it cant pick up the food when it is eating from concrete , but when it eats from soil it has no problem , she eats kinda side ways since the beak is twisted sideways ..
I believe that it got longer over time and as she tried to eat she pushed the beak to one side , I believe that she will adapt to that beak a bit easier then the twisted one.
Thanks for responses!

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:17 pm

Is this a wild dove or a pigeon?
~Dylan

~~~

StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by StodOne » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:38 pm

Sheater No it is not a pigeon , and it is a tamed dove , not sure how wild it is since it is living in a town , but yes you can call it wild , hand fed , tamed dove :lol: .
EDIT: I have checked the translation , and I didn't know about this..
I have translated the name of the bird and it now says turtledove , but I believe that turtledove is another bird .
Here this would be called "grlica" what I believe is a turtledove to be specific african turtledove.

This is called "gugutka" in my language and I believe to be in English a dove, and this is what has the twisted beak.

And this is a pigeon or "Golub" in my language.
Image.