Button quail cage size

ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Button quail cage size

Post by ann » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:03 am

There were baby button quail at the bird show last week, and they were adorable. I have a double wide flight, 64" by 21", with leaves, bark and straw on the floor. Would this be suitable for a pair of quail? Also, I understand that if startled, they fly straight up. If the cage is about 3 feet tall, would they bonk their heads?
2 owls
2 red-faced parrot finches
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Button quail cage size

Post by Jen » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:53 am

ann
Your cage sounds good for a pair, but they can definitely jump up higher that 3 ft. Also when breeding and hatching young, the babies can squeeze through the smallest wire spaces in a cage. I have had to tie netting around the bottom of the cage to keep the babies inside. Some folks remove the babies when hatched and put them in a small aquarium with heat until they grow larger. But I have to agree with you, they are the CUTEST babies ever! Love them!!!

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:27 am

I've never had them, but I also think they are the most adorable little things. I'd love to have a pair, but I also hear they breed like rabbits, so be prepared to have an outlet for all the babies.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

jamezyboo21
Weaning
Weaning

Post by jamezyboo21 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:49 pm

I have several pairs of button quail. A cage that size is perfect for a pair.
Society Finches, Fire Finches, Strawberry Finches, Owl Finches, Plum Head Finch, Goldbreast Waxbill Finches, Orange Cheek Waxbill Finches, Blue Capped Cordon Finches, Zebra Finches, Bronzewing Mannikin Finches, Red-Cheek Cordon Blue Finches, and Button Quail

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue May 10, 2016 6:17 pm

ann@Jen@jamezyboo21 I'll be moving this whole thread to the All Things Dove/Quail forum. I should have noticed that it needed to be moved when I posted in this thread, but it took someone else drawing it to my attention. My bad! #-o
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org