Quail sleeping outside

bcfcciderhead
Hatchling
Hatchling

Quail sleeping outside

Post by bcfcciderhead » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:48 pm

I currently have 3 adult Chinese painted and 4 young Japanese quail (about 6 weeks old, just got all there feathers), all are happy together living in the bottom of my finch aviary, they have a nice heated birdhouse with little boxes they can hide in and piles of straw to nest in and it's heated.
The issue I have is the little monsters never want to go inside at night and I end chasing them about.
They do go in and out all day as water and food is inside so they can use the little ramp.
My question is if build something they can go in outside would they be ok or is it to cold? All they do at the moment is group together to keep warm, so I don't think the cold bothers them that much.

Chrismurdoch3
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Re: Quail sleeping outside

Post by Chrismurdoch3 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:10 am

How cold is it getting at night? If its not getting very cold and they all have their feathers they should be fine sleeping outside. My quail were pretty hardy birds and were always outside when it was pretty chilly.
OWLS, GOULDIANS, SOCIETIES, AND FEW ZEBRAS

bcfcciderhead
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by bcfcciderhead » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:27 am

It's dropping to about 5 degrees C at the moment but should (this is uk) start warming up now, rain us worry but can make a shelter for them

Chrismurdoch3
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Chrismurdoch3 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:43 am

Yeah that's pretty chilly but as long as they can stay dry and out of the wind they should fine. They stay pretty warm when they huddle together, but if you want to make a small shelter for them I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.
OWLS, GOULDIANS, SOCIETIES, AND FEW ZEBRAS

bcfcciderhead
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by bcfcciderhead » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:03 pm

Thanks for the reply
Well they been out for about a week now and all is good, even woke up to a hard frost Sunday morning so it must have got to at least -1,
They do still have access to the inside as there little door is left open, I do believe they go inside as the night goes on.