Brand new to quails

Mae
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Brand new to quails

Post by Mae » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:51 pm

I just got 2 white button quails from the pet store this after noon. I've been doing research online but I feel like I'm just going in circles.... So any advice would be much appreciated! Can I put them in my zebras flight cage? How do I tell the sex, they are both all white? I have so many questions but I will just start there. Thanks so much in advance!

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Brand new to quails

Post by Jen » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:33 pm

Mae
I have a few Button Quail right now in my outdoor aviary. One way to tell male from female with Buttons is that the male has the "reddish" color on his chest and wings. Females won't have the red color. But when you have solid whites, you will have to listen for the male call. You might try googling it and listen...it is very easy to recognize. I started with a male only and when I would hear his "call", I thought he sounded so lonely.....it is a very unique call. So of course I got him a mate and BAM!!!!! I went from a pair to about 25 quail in just a few months. They breed like RABBITS! But I must say, they have the cutest babies I have ever had hatch in my aviary.

Best of luck! I'd like to see some photos if you can post! They are lots of fun to raise. Females will begin to lay eggs at a very young age...another way to tell if you have male or female. I usually pull eggs every couple of days if I don't want the hen to set and hatch them.

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

Mae
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Re: Brand new to quails

Post by Mae » Sun May 01, 2016 4:19 pm

Here is a photo
Attachments
image.jpeg