Button Quail Information?

Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Button Quail Information?

Post by Celeris » Sat May 28, 2016 5:29 pm

Does anyone have some reliable sources of information regarding button quail? My husband has decided he might like some, so I'm on the research trail, trying to decide if button quail will fit in our lifestyle. Any book or website recommendations?

Thanks!

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Re: Button Quail Information?

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Sat May 28, 2016 8:06 pm

Hi Cleris,

In my opinion, Garrie Landry from Louisiana is one of the foremost authorities on button quail. He has a website - and a book called "The Care, Breeding and Genetics of Button Quail. It's only about 38 pages but it had everything I wanted to know back when I was searching for some information and some fertile eggs. I now have a happy colony of 30 that I incubated myself and I just noticed today that I might have a few more on the way.
Broody Cinnamon Button.JPG
My floor birds have the run of the place and spend most of their days searching for food or taking a dust bath or hanging out in the shade with the others.
Buttons on the floor.JPG
Of course they're prolific egg layers so most of my BQ eggs go into the egg food mix for the other birds I keep.
Egg food for buttons and floor doves.JPG
The outside part of my aviary is about 35' long with a decomposed granite floor, several water features, a few green feeders and a great observation area.

Fun birds to keep.
Best,
Paul
Attachments
Buttons outside.JPG
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.