Doves raising chicks

Gráinne Barrett
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Doves raising chicks

Post by Gráinne Barrett » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:22 pm

So, I have 3 diamond doves in my aviary mixed in with finches. The zebra finches tend to lay eggs in a certain place near the door, which is fine, but when they lay there, the diamond doves (usually a pair) rear the chicks. The most annoying part is that they look after them great, but they don't take any interest in having their own chicks! Any thoughts?
Gráinne

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Re: Doves raising chicks

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:55 pm

Grainne,

Amazing that the larger diamond doves can feed the tiny new zebra finches at all.
If your aviary is big enough I would move the nests somewhere else. Zebras usually prefer a box mounted high and Diamonds prefer an open nest just about anywhere. Never saw a diamond go in a box. Best to give them all plenty of nest choices. If the diamonds are undisturbed they should rear their own chicks just fine. With the right size box and plenty of nest material, the prolific zebras should be over-producing in no time.

Paul
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:30 am

How do the doves manage to feed the finches? Have you seen it occur? I have to ask because I would have thought it impossible, given the vastly different ways of feeding their young.
~Dylan

~~~

Gráinne Barrett
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Gráinne Barrett » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:33 am

I'm not sure whether the actual doves do the feeding.. I have seen strange things in my aviary! They definitely keep them warm, but I have seen a zebra jump over every once in a while to feed them. I don't have a problem with it and I was surprised at their hospitality but I just want them to breed themselves. It's an open built-in nest.
Gráinne