Set my first eggs today!

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Re: Set my first eggs today!

Post by MisterGribs » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:28 pm

lovezebs
Better stick to Spongebob Squarepants, then :wink:
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:30 pm

Beauteeeee and the Beeeeast....lol.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Celeris » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:24 pm

MisterGribs

Any pips yet?

I am FINALLY get my next round of eggs on Monday. Apparently there was a mishap with the last bunch and an oven. I've already got the incubator humming along, ready to try for round two. And I've got multiple thermometers in place this time--there will be no horrifying glitches in temp this time, if I can help it!

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:16 pm

No pips yet, but they're rocking back and forth and I expect some by tonight!

Hatching from eggs can be insanely difficult. I think the worst part is the waiting! Good luck, you've waited so long to get those, I'm sure your hatch will go well!
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Celeris » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:33 pm

MisterGribs

Weeell...? How goes things?

Got my eggs and set them yesterday! One arrived home with the air cell all displaced, so I've got it outside of the turner in a little nest of its own for a couple days. Hopefully that allows everything to settle.

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:56 am

Celeris wrote: MisterGribs

Weeell...? How goes things?

Got my eggs and set them yesterday! One arrived home with the air cell all displaced, so I've got it outside of the turner in a little nest of its own for a couple days. Hopefully that allows everything to settle.
Out of the 10 I set, I got 7 fertile. One little brown one died in the shell what looks like yesterday, pipped the wrong end. I have 6 more, two have pipped internally and the rest are just late.

And one little baby hatched on time, we named it Happy. It came out all white, and then slowly turned golden! I let it imprint on me and Heta for a tamer covey, and last night it cried and cried because it's still alone in there until we took it to bed with us. Sweetest little bird. Woke up with it nestled under my hand in the little heated box we had it in.
Attachments
^3898F893FC6D5D6D54C4A52538159ECAD7D3CE108A0B3D1456^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:43 am

Well look at that beautiful ball of fuzz!! <3 Congratulations MisterGribs! =D> You've had a lot of ups and downs the last couple of months to get to this "Happy" moment! A very appropriate name.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:57 am

Congratulations on a new bouncing baby fuzz ball.

May Happy bring joy to your heart =D>
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:39 pm

I had three (!!!!!) Upside down DIS babies today! What on earth did I do wrong? Stop turning them too soon, possibly? Happy is doing good, and there are 3 more little beaks showing in my incubator, I hope they all make it.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:52 pm

With this species of bird, isn't it okay to help them out of the shell a bit if they get stuck? I'm not going to try and be an expert on this. I've never hatched quail or chickens.

I'm wondering if the hen sometimes helps with the hatchling. I know finches do at times help the babies hatch. I've seen my societies do it.

Did any of the DIS peep or give you warning they were pipping? If you get four, I would say it's still a success!

Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Celeris » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:45 pm

MisterGribs

Congratulations on your little Happy! What an absolute cutie!

I have heard of folks that have successfully assisted DIS chicks in hatching. It sounds to me like the survival rate isn't too great, though. I know that I would hesitate to open the incubator at all while others were pipped, since there's risk of shrink wrapping if you drop the humidity too much. But everyone's got their own methods!

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:27 am

You can assist, if you know how to shrink the veins. I didn't get any warning peeps, as they were never able to get any air. One of them was still alive when I tried to get some air into it, but didn't make it. Not sure what I could have done differently, but from what I've read upside down chicks are common, some still manage to get air, some don't.

Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Celeris » Mon May 01, 2017 6:44 pm

MisterGribs

Well, candled the eggs and put them in lock down yesterday... Out of nine, only two had developed to the proper point, with five dead. The other two were dark enough that I couldn't tell either way. Hopefully the hatch rate is dang near perfect or I'm going to have much fewer quail than I originally thought.

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Tue May 02, 2017 4:02 pm

I only got two out of mine, too

Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Celeris » Wed May 03, 2017 2:33 pm

MisterGribs

It really is a trickier process than I originally thought! Can't decide if I'm gonna try for a third round if this one flops. (May just try to find a breeder who has chicks available!)