Rubber leg bands?

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Rubber leg bands?

Post by MisterGribs » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:27 am

I recently bought some size 4 leg bands for some coturnix quail I am hatching. When they arrived, I was surprised to see that they were basically small rubber bands! I'm worried about this. Either it wasn't mentioned, or I just assumed they would be plastic.

I only have a small amount of quail I want to hatch as pets, so marking the bands isn't important, but what I'm really worried about is strangulation.

These aren't breakaway bands, they're actually tougher than normal rubber bands, so I'm worried they will get caught on something and somehow cut off circulation to the foot! You know how quickly it happens, all quail seem to have a deathwish, especially when they're babies.

Does anyone have any experience with these rubber leg bands??
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Rubber leg bands?

Post by lovezebs » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:39 am

These must be those new bands that I've been hearing about.

Some folks seem to have good luck with them, other people say that they break quite easily when you attempt to put them on.

Like you, I would be concerned about them catching on things, and birds hanging themselves.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:47 am

lovezebs wrote: These must be those new bands that I've been hearing about.

Some folks seem to have good luck with them, other people say that they break quite easily when you attempt to put them on.

Like you, I would be concerned about them catching on things, and birds hanging themselves.
There's not much about them online, I guess I'll give them a try and supervise them like a maniac.
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:32 am

I've used them, and I think they work well. Any band could be caught on something. These rubber band bands fit snuggly but softly, and in my mind are less of a problem than plastic or metal bands. It is important (with any band, including these) to use the right size.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:17 pm

Dave wrote: I've used them, and I think they work well. Any band could be caught on something. These rubber band bands fit snuggly but softly, and in my mind are less of a problem than plastic or metal bands. It is important (with any band, including these) to use the right size.
Thanks for your input, Dave! I haven't heard any horror stories yet, so I'm going to go ahead and try these on.