Fuzzy quail babies growing up fast

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Fuzzy quail babies growing up fast

Post by MisterGribs » Mon May 01, 2017 6:08 am

So my wife and I decided to set some coturnix eggs. Out of the 10 we placed, 7 were fertile, but only three hatched successfully, and only 2 survived.

The first chick, Happy, had some kind of head tremors. I went online to see what I should do, and about the only treatable thing it could have been was a vitamin deficiency. None of the other chicks were acting this way, and the vitamins didn't help, so Happy sadly died at 1 week old.

The other two chicks are great. We decided to imprint on them, and it's a lot of hard work to be a daddy quail, having to sleep with them on the bed and get up with them at 5 am, and hearing a lot of constant crying if you divide your attention, but it's SO worth it if you have a disability or work from home and can dispense that amount of devotion.
I have never seen a tamer bird, and they're super affectionate and lovable. I can't see this being a possibility for a covey of like 50 quail, but if you are doing a small hatch for pets, definitely give it a go. They're so rewarding.

I have two little hens, Diglett (mine) who seems to be a very small white, and Hulahulabarb (Heta's) who is a gorgeous lavender.
Hulahulabarb is very robust, and it's hard to stop her from robbing my plate whenever I'm eating. Any food will disappear the moment you put it in front of her. Diglett seems to not be eating enough. Her keel bone sticks out pretty fiercely when you feel it and I've decided to shadow her today and pump her full of egg soup at every opportunity. She fights me as hard as she possibly can, although I know she's hungry! She cries all the time, but simply won't eat her feed, even if it's ground down to flour. So here I am, one drop at a time...

Anyways, when the chicks were first born they were too small to band, and Heta couldn't tell them apart so we grabbed the colorful, fruit-shaped calcimin supplements we keep for our finches to eat and..
^3D721CEB307D7EA458A7F07EA539D7BDD1AC70441DA96749E6^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
Aren't they ridiculous?? Look at them. Happy in her natural yellow, Diglett in green, and Hulahulabarb is the pink one.

And this is them now. Sad that Happy isn't in the picture, she was my fave.
babies.png
babies.png (203.04 KiB) Viewed 1593 times
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Fuzzy quail babies growing up fast

Post by lovezebs » Mon May 01, 2017 7:03 am

Welcome back to the fold, we missed you.

I am so sorry that Happy passed over the Rainbow Bridge.... I know how disheartening it can be, when you put so much heart and effort into these sweet babies, only to lose them in the end.

That said, I'm glad that you have these two little ones, who are by the way, super cute =D>

I'm really looking forward to watching these two grow and develope.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Mon May 01, 2017 7:59 am

Awww....super cute. I have Button Quail and they have the cutest babies!!! Love them! Best of luck with your two cuties.

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Mon May 01, 2017 3:18 pm

lovezebs Thanks! I disappear when I get busy, lol. I totally forgot to show you guys my doily in the other thread...
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Mon May 01, 2017 3:19 pm

jen Thanks! They are about the size of button quail, now. They're about as hard to put to bed as a real child, it's a huge struggle. What are your quail like?

Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Celeris » Mon May 01, 2017 6:59 pm

MisterGribs

So sorry to hear about Happy! Thank you for sharing the pictures of your remaining two. How precious!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon May 01, 2017 11:37 pm

So where is this doilie anyway, hmmmm?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~