My Lovely Spot (Button Quail)

Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

My Lovely Spot (Button Quail)

Post by Celeris » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:40 pm

I got this picture during my Spot's recovery from her mysterious leg/hip injury. Having her confined to my teensy hospital cage meant frequent bedding changes, so I was letting her roam my office while I got her house all cleaned up. Figured that would make a good time to try to snap some pictures of her, since their usual behavior when the Great Eye/Soul Sucker/camera is "staring at them" in their cages is to run and hide, making it hard to get a clear shot. Out in the big, wide room, she was a bit calmer and more inclined to just watch me curiously.

And because it's one of my few decent photos of my birds, wanted to share it!
Attachments
DSCN5620e.JPG

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: My Lovely Spot (Button Quail)

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:46 am

Cute!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:03 am

Very nice little Chinese painted quail ( button quail ) Celeris :-BD

Thanks for sharing

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:57 am

Celeris

I'm so glad she was able to mend up. Pretty girl. We have members who love keeping quail. Debbie has a fun flock that free roam her property and even march the troops into the kitchen for visits.

Seem like such fun birds to watch.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:42 pm

Celeris

What a cute little girl!

I'm so glad to hear that she's feeling well enough to go on walk about. Hopefully whatever the injury was, it's on it's way to healing and a full recovery =D> .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:19 pm

I thought about getting button quail. For zebra finches, I never even looked at more than pictures, and was very surprised at the size. I thought I would check out some pictures before emailing the person beforehand. The first picture that pulled up was a bloody gash in thehead of a button quail, caused by its companion.
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Celeris » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:59 am

Babs
They are definitely a far cry from finches! I used to think my finches were "paranoid" until I got into the quail, haha! They have such interesting and unique personalities, though. I do enjoy them quite a bit--especially now that I've thinned the flock to a more manageable number.

@lovezebs
Me too! She had me quite worried for a while there. Glad my finch habit gave me the equipment to hospitalize her for a bit!

@sparrowsong98
They can be nasty little critters when provoked. I wonder if that picture was from the quail's fellow birds, though, or if it may have come from a head bonk... These guys leap straight into the air when startled and have been known to scalp themselves and even break their necks by hitting the top of their cage. (A lot of people attach foam to the top of their enclosures for that reason.)

They can and will kill each other under the right circumstances, though. A friend of mine recently had a hen go off the deep end and kill her mate--three hours prior, they'd been snuggling. I enjoy them, but definitely feel like a lot of the educational material out there doesn't entirely brace you for their crazy.