Diamonds doves

hfinney
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Diamonds doves

Post by hfinney » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:31 am

Hello. I have a female diamond dove, and I want to get her a companion. I know she’ll breed like crazy with a male, which I don’t want, so I’m considering another female. Will the two females coo more together than my girl does alone? I’d love to hear her soft cooing more.

Also she doesn’t seem to ever eat her grit. Should I be concerned, or will she get it when she needs it? Or do I need a certain kind of grit for her?

Thanks!

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Re: Diamonds doves

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:11 am

Housing hens together is fine. I have several hens (sometimes 3 at once) that occupy the same nest. If I want to limit my DD production to below 20 birds or so, I simply let them keep nesting but remove the fresh eggs.

The one thing you will miss with no boys around is the fascinating male display while courting the females. Very fun to observe the fan tail presentations.

RE:grit...Mine have oyster shell grit available if they want, but they also eat the egg food I provide - with plenty of ground shells mixed in with a food processor.

Paul
Attachments
DSCF0441.JPG
Diamond Doves 1.JPG
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

Parsons
Pip
Pip

Re: Diamonds doves

Post by Parsons » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:37 am

hfinney wrote: Hello. I have a female diamond dove, and I want to get her a companion. I know she’ll breed like crazy with a male, which I don’t want, so I’m considering another female. Will the two females coo more together than my girl does alone? I’d love to hear her soft cooing more.

I don't know if my experience is typical, but I have two females together (intended to get a mating pair). They are so incredibly quiet and inactive that I even recently posted about it. In the past, I've either had 1 male or a breeding pair. The males are definitely more active and vocal. I rarely hear my females coo -- probably just a couple coos per day!
Have a pair of Parsons finch, female pair of canaries, pair of button quail, and pair of diamond doves. Also two large dogs, rabbit, and cornsnake.