Diamond dove behavior

Parsons
Pip
Pip

Diamond dove behavior

Post by Parsons » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:16 pm

I have a pair of diamond doves (presumably m/f) that behave differently than others I've had. I got them last October.

Granted it's been over 10 years since I've had diamonds, but my last pair successfully bred. Before that, I had a single diamond that was mostly free range indoors and interacted with us daily (liked to sit on our heads, "wrestle" with our hand when we sat on the floor, etc.)

These two have become more and more sedentary (and quiet). They sit on one perch snuggled together. They don't seem to settle on any of the other perches and seem to only go down to the cage floor to eat and drink. I can't figure out why they aren't active.

Before they would busily load their nest with timothy hay and sisal when I put some in their cage. Now they ignore it completely. They just sit. They don't appear ill. But I don't understand. :?:
Have a pair of Parsons finch, female pair of canaries, pair of button quail, and pair of diamond doves. Also two large dogs, rabbit, and cornsnake.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Diamond dove behavior

Post by Sheather » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:36 am

They sound like two hens. The male of the species is the more lively, and will spend all his waking hours courting - or harassing - the hens, so an absence of that behavior is very suggestive you don't have one. Males have a distinct tail fanning display, does one of yours do it to the other?
~Dylan

~~~

Parsons
Pip
Pip

Post by Parsons » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:48 pm

That would make a lot of sense.

They were quite young when I got them and the one with slightly larger eye ring used to do some of that bowing (more half-bowing) to the other. I thought he was just still young and hadn't figured out the full tail-splayed bow yet. The other had laid a couple eggs but the one I thought was male refused to sit on the eggs when the hen left the nest to eat.

The eggs never hatched -- I guess another indication that the eggs were not fertile (ie. no male).

It's been quite awhile since I've seen that one doing anything close to the bowing. It makes perfect sense - now that you mention it - that they are both female. :oops:

Is it possible to add a male to be with 2 females?
Have a pair of Parsons finch, female pair of canaries, pair of button quail, and pair of diamond doves. Also two large dogs, rabbit, and cornsnake.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:38 pm

Yes. Females don't fight, but once one female chooses the male, one will be left out. Two males would be best.
~Dylan

~~~

Parsons
Pip
Pip

Post by Parsons » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:16 pm

Thanks!

I'm guessing I'll need another cage then. I don't have an aviary. They are indoors in a cage which I assume would not work for two pairs.
Attachments
20180705_diamonds cage reduced.jpg
20180705_diamonds cage reduced.jpg (91.29 KiB) Viewed 1616 times