Silly Question but I must ask

OldGregg
Pip
Pip

Silly Question but I must ask

Post by OldGregg » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:18 am

I am super new to birds, so right now I am just reading up. I have been looking at finches and button quail (don't know which kind of finches yet still deciding). Anyway, I have been reading that I can keep both finches and buttonquails together. The quails will live in their own world at the bottom of the enclosure. But...won't they get pooped on? Wouldn't that be a problem?

Thank you in advanced =)
I <3 Reptiles (including birbs)

CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Re: Silly Question but I must ask

Post by CathyCraftz » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:27 am

OldGregg wrote: I am super new to birds, so right now I am just reading up. I have been looking at finches and button quail (don't know which kind of finches yet still deciding). Anyway, I have been reading that I can keep both finches and buttonquails together. The quails will live in their own world at the bottom of the enclosure. But...won't they get pooped on? Wouldn't that be a problem?

Thank you in advanced =)
That will not be a problem, they will rarely get pooped on. The only thing you have to worry about are the two species eating each other's food.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

~obsessed with zebra finches~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:06 am

Quail are aggressive and will attack any finch at the bottom of the enclosure. So if you breed, your fledglings will likely get killed once they jump out of the nest. Fledglings lack the skills to escape quickly the first few days.

Unless the enclosure is quite large. I would not chance it myself.

tex
Nestling
Nestling

Post by tex » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:11 am

I think they have a kind of sixth sense my birds often wander round the bottom of the cage and never get pooped on, its almost like a gentlemans agreement :D