Sexing a Black-Headed Nun

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Sexing a Black-Headed Nun

Post by Hilary » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:36 pm

Just in case I ever decide to get my little guy a friend am trying to figure out the sex of my nun. I haven't heard any full-fledged song, though s/he does have a pretty loud single-note call. Don't know if there would be a song, though, if there are no other nuns nearby? I have him in a mixed community and he tends to hang with the societies, but don't know if he's closely-enough related to sing to them.

Update (2/18/06)

Ok, the nun is definitely Bob! I've been hearing a quiet little song for the last couple of days, but thought it was one of the waxbills. No question now, though - the little guy stood up straight and puffed out his head feathers (just like my male society) and let at it this afternoon. I wouldn't say it sounds like a kitten - he clicks his bill, then lets out a single note that starts low and gets high. He was quite proud of himself - tried to settle next to the female society after, who obviously wasn't that impressed!
Last edited by Hilary on Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:54 pm

I have read that the male's song sounds like a kitten mewing from the distance. I have not personally owned any nuns, but I suspect they would be willing to display to society finches even though they are of a different species. When in doubt, you could always get the bird DNA sex tested.

I wrote up a brief species profile for black-headed nuns based on information gathered from several books I own. It is here:

http://www.finchinfo.com/species/chestnut_munia.htm

The good news is that I ordered the book "Mannikins & Munias," and it should arrive soon. The book is sure to contain tons more information about this species, so when it arrives, if it offers any clues that may be helpful to you, I will be sure to pass them along.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:10 pm

Excellent - thanks! No kittens so far, so maybe "Bob" is really "Betty"! It's actually been a little harder to find info on this species, though I did read that I should watch out for cross-breeding with the societies (which is why I've been listening for the song). S/he certainly pigpiles in the nest with them at night! If anybody is considering a nun, this little guy is very calm and personable. He'd been sitting in PetSmart for about 3 months, and when I learned they got along great with Societies I decided the little guy deserved a home, even if he's not with other nuns (so far).

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Munias and Mannikans

Post by Hilary » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:43 pm

Crystal -

Let me know what you think of the book - how helpful the information is. I was looking at it on Amazon.

Hilary

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:09 am

I will as soon as I receive it. It supposedly is on its way! :)

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:27 am

I received the book just prior to leaving town, but I will share some of the highlights about black headed nuns (Lonchura atricapilla) here (the book is pretty great, by the way, and I recommend buying it if you enjoy reading detailed field observations about WILD munias; only a few parts deal with these birds in captivity):
  • Juveniles appear identical or nearly identical to juveniles of L. maja and L. punctulata.

In the wild, black headed nuns inhabit swampy grassland, rice paddy fields, gardens, tall grasses, and forest edges.

They tend to form flocks year-round, being social birds.

Breeding adults and recently fledged juveniles will often sleep in the nest.

Occasionally these birds will raise their far wing when threatened and may engage in peering (listening intently to another's song).

When feeding in the wild, birds will often grasp several stems at a time and take several "bites" from the seed head.

Adults tend to feed the most hungry/avidly begging chick (regardless of whose clutch it came from), and feed to demand. Chicks will beg any adult of their species, even if that adult is not the biological parent. When not being fed, the juveniles chew on grass and other substances, but rarely ingest anything.

Although they are mostly a sedentary species, they do migrate.

Courtship: the male flies around uttering calls as he carries a strand of grass in his beak. He lands beside a female, puffs up, drops the grass, and sings while hopping, facing the female. If the female is receptive, she will crouch and vibrate her tail. They mate in the open and may beak fence or preen each other after the act.

The nest is oval in shape and has one entrance. It may be built in rushes, reeds, or shrubbery. The nest is constructed of leaves, twigs and stems and lined with small grass stems. Both sexes share in nest construction.

They lay 3-5 eggs in captivity, and 5-6 in the wild, but can lay up to 8 eggs in a single clutch. Both sexes share incubation and both parents will sleep in the nest at night.

Incubation period is 12-13 days. Hatchlings are brooded for 8-10 days and fledge at about 3-4 weeks of age.

Both parents feed the young on a diet of grass seeds and vegetable matter; no live food appears to be used. The young are weaned about 3 weeks after they fledge.
The book also goes into detail about their calls/songs and distribution, etc.

Hope that helps!

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:45 pm

Excellent - thanks! I was looking at the book again online last night, as a matter of fact. Put it on my wish list, but may end up giving myself the gift! The information is great - thank you. Hilary