DNA sexing needed

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
FinchsRUS
Mature
Mature

Re: DNA sexing needed

Post by FinchsRUS » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:55 pm

Sally wrote: Could this bird be darker because of melanism? Strawberries are very prone to melanism when they don't have exposure to natural sunlight.
Maybe??? I have (him) in a cage next to my linny parakeet so it is possible it's darker from the lack of sunlight. I'll move him next to a window and see what happens.

FinchsRUS
Mature
Mature

Post by FinchsRUS » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:00 pm

It would have laid an egg by now if it were a female right? It's well over a year old.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:08 pm

I would think it would have, though I have had hens that are very reluctant or slow to lay eggs, perhaps they don't like the male I picked out for them. :wink: Placing him near a window probably won't help, as modern windows are treated to cut out the UV rays, which is what birds need.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:56 pm

Sally wrote: Could this bird be darker because of melanism? Strawberries are very prone to melanism when they don't have exposure to natural sunlight.
I thought melanism was a permanent condition like albinism, only with too much rather than not enough melanin?
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:01 pm

FinchsRUS wrote:
Maybe??? I have (him) in a cage next to my linny parakeet so it is possible it's darker from the lack of sunlight. I'll move him next to a window and see what happens.
Direct unfilter sun (not through glass) or D3 supplements will help. Are you using vitamin mineral supplements such as powdered vitamins in soft food or water or pellets?

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:47 pm

Sojourner wrote:
I thought melanism was a permanent condition like albinism, only with too much rather than not enough melanin?
This is from the Finch Information Center:

Captive birds are prone to induced melanism--likely related to dietary and vitamin D deficiency--and apparently require exposure to warmth, sunshine, a proper diet, and adequate moisture to maintain their bright red plumage in later molts.

Robert Black wrote an article on Strawberry finches in which he said that he started putting his Strawberry finches in outdoor aviaries during the summer. Each year, he noticed that when the males molted into their breeding plumage, they were brighter and redder. After three years of sun exposure, he said the male's colors were spectacular (or some such wording).

Strawberry finches kept indoors are more likely to have this induced melanism than many other species.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org