Update On Java Kids

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Re: Update On Java Kids

Post by Shannylee » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:55 pm

lovezebs, their gray feathers have a blueish tint and their belly feathers are almost pink.
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:01 pm

Shannylee - Sharon, I love your 'brown bird' idea! You realize, though, that the price of the plane ticket would turn him/her into a 'golden bird', don't you? :wink:

lovezebs - Elana, I know you would give me one of yours if you could. You are just one of these good-hearted people that will always do things for other people. I do appreciate your kindness.
Iso

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:01 pm

Shannylee

Yes Sharon, a couple of them are fairly good biters, but just pinches, not enough to break the skin.

As to their names, check out the pictures, and you'll find out their names :D

As for being calm, lol, they were no where near calm :-O
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:08 pm

You know European bull finches have a somewhat similar coloring: black on top of the head, bluish-grey back and pinkish (but stronger color) bellies. And they are pretty sturdy birds as well, just small black beaks. BTW, that's another bird I would love to have... Legal in Canada (as far as I know) but not in the US because there are wild ones in Alaska. Those originally must have come from Russia across the Bering Straight.
It seems I have a knack for falling in love with birds I can't have.
Iso

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:15 pm

Shannylee

Thanks Sharon, it's odd you know, because I have seen some that were truly grey, and then there are these guys.

Plus Rudolph the White, is starting to get a silver shade to his back and wings. Here's a picture of him (regretably headless), but you can see what I mean.
Attachments
20161218_150308.jpg
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:34 pm

lovezebs, pretty coloring! I think Rudolph might be a Silver and not a DEW.

My Vader (Java chick) is still brown. *He* is just starting to get some of his black cap feathers in. No gray yet. That kid needs to move out. Mom and dad are over *him*. They are sitting tight on a new clutch of about...I dunno...10ish eggs. They both hopped out today so I took a peek. :-O Good thing I have that girl on calcium!
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:39 pm

Shannylee

If all ten hatch, you'll be up to your ears in baby Javas.
What are you going to do with all of them? :shock:
~Elana~

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:52 pm

lovezebs, I think I'll hop a plane to VA and CA and maybe Indonesia with some "brown finches". :wink:
~Sharon

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:03 am

Shannylee

You do realize the penaly for it, if caught, right???
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:08 am

isobea

Ochhhh, go on with you.....you are making me :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing:
~Elana~

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:20 am

lovezebs wrote: Shannylee

You do realize the penaly for it, if caught, right???
I go to bird jail?? :)) Totally kidding anyhow. I have already promised Vader to a good home. Just working out the time-frame on rehoming *him*. I don't count my "chickens" before they are hatched but I have lots of bird contacts in FL so not too worried about finding homes for them. Once this clutch hatches, the nest is coming out and Princess Leia is getting a break!
~Sharon

Chihuahua
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Chihuahua » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:09 am

I wish you could send some to me! Java finches used to be easy to find here but one pet store that had them was closed for violating usda regulations (they sucked anyway) and the other one quit selling birds because their resident Amazon parrot was jealous :lol:
Toby

2 pied societies (one crested)
2 adult beetles
4 beetle larvae
1 papillon
1 chihuahua mix

My mom also has two budgies and a dachshund puppy

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:20 am

Shannylee wrote: lovezebs, I think I'll hop a plane to VA and CA and maybe Indonesia with some "brown finches". :wink:
Skip Indonesia.
Bringing Javas here would be like bringing water to the ocean. :-)
Though you might find birds you'd like to bring back, like those " miniature bald eagles".

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:52 pm

lovezebs - Hi Elana, do you have some new updated pictures of your babies? Are they coloring up? Or am I too impatient? Remember, I have to live vicariously through you and your pictures.
Iso

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:20 pm

isobea

Hi Iso,

Here they are....
Attachments
20170219_174903.jpg
20170219_183952.jpg
20170219_183746.jpg
20170219_184304.jpg
20170219_174850.jpg
~Elana~