Update On Java Kids

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Trisha12345
Pip
Pip

Re: Update On Java Kids

Post by Trisha12345 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:48 am

lem2bert wrote: Trisha12345

At the top of the board you will see board index, click on that and you will see finch related with many topics under that. Click on what ever topic is related to your question. once you do that you will see at the top of the board New post click on that . Hope this helps and I want to say Hi from Massachusetts.
Hey thanks I will try it tomorrow and hi from Queens NY

Trisha12345
Pip
Pip

Post by Trisha12345 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:03 pm

What's this
Attachments
So my husband came home about 3 weeks ago with 3 finches that we know nothing about someone left them outside of his work and I'm trying to figure out if this is normal because for the last 3 weeks the black spot was yellow and now today it's black can someone help
So my husband came home about 3 weeks ago with 3 finches that we know nothing about someone left them outside of his work and I'm trying to figure out if this is normal because for the last 3 weeks the black spot was yellow and now today it's black can someone help

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:54 pm

lovezebs - Good morning Elana, I just now had a chance to watch the Hawaiian java video - simply amazing! And they all look so healthy. Maybe this population explosion is what California is afraid of...
Iso

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:09 pm

Trisha12345

Hi Trish,

A "Preen Gland " is a part of the body in almost all birds.

Here's a link that will explain it better than I can...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uropygial_gland
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:14 pm

isobea

Hi Iso,

I think you're right, that's probably the case.

From what I've read about Javas, they do tend to be good breeders, with large and numerous clutches, under the right conditions.

So given good weather, and enough food sources, they could probably get out of control very quickly.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:24 pm

Babs, awww....if I thought for one second that I could smuggle my Java baby on the plane, I would hand deliver *him* (not sure of the gender yet). "um, ma'am....what's that in your jacket?" Me..."Nothing to see here but I think that lady over there has more than 3 oz of liquid in her purse!" :lol: If we could just get that silly law dropped before the 15th... :roll:
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:30 pm

Shannylee

Nice distraction! Tell them she has white powder on her nose! :))

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:54 pm

Babs, would love to see you when I'm in VA but I'll be dealing with crazy Army nonsense (for the last time...woot!) and will be 5+ hours from you with no car. Packing up the kiddo and his fam and moving them to Wash State. :shock:
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:31 am

Shannylee - Sharon, on your way to Washington state, will you be going through California? If so, would you have room for a small carrier with just one - don't want to be greedy - male java? [-o<
Iso

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:38 pm

isobea :lol:

The driving directions have us going through the northern part of the US. This FL gal is not thrilled about driving through mountains/snow. :shock:
~Sharon

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:13 pm

Shannylee

Then take another route, lol.
~Elana~

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:03 pm

Shannylee - Sharon, Elana is on to something here. You could take interstate 10 or 20 which would get you all the way to Tucson. At that point you could decide to just head west on the 8 which would get you straight into San Diego. Or go up to Phoenix for a quick detour up to the Grand canyon. From there either pick up the 10 to get you into LA or take the 40 and go through Bakersfield on your way to the famous highway 1 (Coast Highway). The drive up the California coast towards San Francisco is spectacular. Then follow the 5 through northern CA and Oregon (with more detours along the way). You might as well make the best of this long, long trip.
There you go, tons of unsolicited advice - and all of that was started by talking about one little male java... :wink:
Iso

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:18 pm

Shannylee isobea

Hi Sharon and Iso,

I would take Iso's advice. The drive up the coast line is 'magnificent', plus you get to see the Grand Canyon (which I am told is beyond magnificent).
~Elana~

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:56 pm

lovezebs and Shannylee,
Ladies, don't get me going on the southwest and everything there is to see. When I still lived in Germany, I used to come over here in the summertime and spent 3 to 4 weeks camping there. Sharon, I could give you a list a mile long of places you should go see but I'm afraid eventually you would want to reach your destination in Washington. How about on the way back?
Elana, if you ever made it down this way I could show you around (no more camping at this age, though! I hope you didn't have your heart set on that :wink: )
Iso

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:14 pm

isobea

Those were the days my friend, lol.
~Elana~