Update On Java Kids

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Update On Java Kids

Post by wildbird » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:47 am

Your Javas are probably so flighty because there are several, not one, and in a flight cage, especially having come from an aviary. The one I just bought came from an aviary. I have kept her in a smaller cage about 25 x 16 x 16 for quarantine. She was very flighty when I would change food cups etc. Now she is much tamer, and reaching in to do anything doesn't bother her. I slide her cage next to the other females cage, put a divider in the new birds cage, open the doors and she goes right into the other cage. She will also go back into her's when I want her to. Soon I hope to be able to keep them together in one cage at night. It will be 30 x 18 x 18. Spend as much time as you can near them & tie some millet sprigs on the side of the cage for them. They should tame down when they see you only bring good things. They also love water for baths. If it's not provided, they may empty a water bottle trying to take a bath. And they take several a day. They're feathering up nicely!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:11 am

Shannylee

Hopefully they will settle down in time.

Maybe I should house the Canaries with them, to show them that I am not the evil monster that they think I am :D
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:30 am

wildbird

My kids did not come from an aviary, their breeder has her birds in two F030's that are placed together end to end.

When I first brought them home, they were in a tiny little travel cage, where they were packed like sardines. I then moved them into a big cage, until I could locate a flight and put it back together (seeing as it had been disassembled).

They were just as flighty in the travel cage, and in the larger cage, as they are in the flight.

They are probably setting each other off as you say, however seperating them is not an option.

As mentioned above, hopefully in time they will settle and calm down.
Yes, they most certaily love their baths :D .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:47 am

I am pretty sure they are much happier together in a larger cage than in solitary confinement in smaller ones anyway.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:33 am

w.l.

I agree.
I would not seperate them, they were so recently seperated from their families. All they have at this point is each other.
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:39 pm

Hey Everyone,

Today I did the deed.
I caught all the kids, trimmed their nails, fitted them with coloured plastic rings, and officially named them all.

What a job that was #-o
So here goes....
Attachments
20161218_142704.jpg
DANCER<br />SPORTING A WHITE RING
DANCER
SPORTING A WHITE RING
20161218_151526.jpg
RUDOLPH<br />SPORTING A RED RING
RUDOLPH
SPORTING A RED RING
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:43 pm

Attachments
20161218_151303.jpg
DASHER<br />WEARING GREEN
DASHER
WEARING GREEN
20161218_143512.jpg
PRANCER<br />WEARING BLUE
PRANCER
WEARING BLUE
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:45 pm

Attachments
20161218_145414.jpg
VIXEN<br />PRETTY IN PINK
VIXEN
PRETTY IN PINK
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:50 pm

And here are some other pictures of the kids, before I caught them, and in the sardine can while awaiting their pedicure.
Attachments
20161218_150803.jpg
20161218_150418.jpg
20161218_130707.jpg
20161218_150250.jpg
~Elana~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:11 pm

lovezebs

Wow! Look at the size of those beauties! So much bigger in your hand than other birds I've seen you hold. Tux isn't quite as big as your guys there!

Good job on the banding all by yer lonesome! That is not an easy task! =D>

Aren't they simply handsome looking birds? I just love their big ole beaks! :YMDAYDREAM:

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:34 pm

lovezebs - Great job, Elana, trimming the nails, banding them and of course taking their pix one-handed! They are so cute with their adult colors starting to come in. You know I'm still hoping (against all odds) for a small cage under the Christmas tree. They say miracles do happen...
Iso

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:37 pm

lovezebs, did anyone bite you?? They look so calm in your hands and don't look traumatized at all. I'm impressed. Bird in hand, banding, nail trimming, and pictures. What are their names??
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:47 pm

isobea, I wonder what would happen if someone carried one on a commercial flight. Especially a young one that is not colored out. TSA..."what kind of bird is this?" Person..."um...brown finch." Not that I am advocating "breaking the law" :shock: :))

Funny story about TSA. My DIL makes soap. She sent me home with some one time when I visited and I had it in my carry-on. After much examination and explosives testing, the TSA guy finally showed it to me and asked, "What IS this?" Yeah...that's soap.
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:48 pm

Babs

Yes, they are big babies.

I can't say that I'm a great fan of their big beaks, a couple of them were handing out free pinches as I was holding them :-L

I imagine that Tux, is approximately the same size, as most Javas are pretty much of similar sizing.

What surprises me, is that some of the feathers coming in on some of them, are blue not grey :shock: (?)
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:51 pm

isobea

I really wish that I could send at least one of these kids your way Iso.... :(
If there was a way, I would gladly do so.
~Elana~