Owl Finches - Noise and Heating

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
MiaLitla
Pip
Pip

Owl Finches - Noise and Heating

Post by MiaLitla » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:27 am

Hi, I’m hoping to get a pair of owl finches soon, however I have a few questions and I was wondering if you guys might be able to help.

I live in an apartment, so I’m a little worried about the noise the birds make (I really rather not receive noise complaints). The birds would be kept in the study, which shares no walls with any neighbours, so in effect there will always be another room between the birds and my neighbours.

Would owl finches be too loud to keep in an apartment? From what I’ve understood (and heard on YouTube) they seem relatively quiet.

Also, I’ve read that they cannot stand cold temperatures. As I’ve said, the birds would be kept indoors, however, as I live in the UK the indoor temperature gets cold in winter if I don’t turn the heating on. Will the heating from the radiator be a suitable method to keep them warm, or should I be looking into heat lamps?

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Owl Finches - Noise and Heating

Post by debbie276 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:08 am

I find owls to be relatively soft spoken like gouldians. Mine enjoyed playing in the snow during the winter in New Jersey. I would not say they are delicate at all. I'm sure they will do just fine indoors for you as long as the temperature change isn't sudden.
Best of luck
83-2013.JPG
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:39 am

debbie276

Nice shot of the aviary in the snow! How beautiful! :YMDAYDREAM:

MiaLitla
Pip
Pip

Post by MiaLitla » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:55 am

Thank you debbie276 :D I think it was FinchInfo that said they do poorly if they're housed in temperatures below 20°C and I got a little concerned about the room temperature, so I'm really glad to hear that they're not that delicate after all :)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:53 am

MiaLitla

Owls are quiet little sweethearts.

Mine are indoors, and do just fine with central heating.

What I do, is clip a small lamp to the side of the flight (with a regular 60w bulb), and they like to 'sun' themselves under it :D .

I live in Canada, so we do get some extreme temperatures in the Winter. On days, when the bird room feels a bit chilly, I plug in a very small electric heater/fan, and within ten to fifteen minutes the whole room is quite comfortably warm.

I think you will love Owls <3
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

MiaLitla
Pip
Pip

Post by MiaLitla » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:21 pm

Thank you for the tip about the lamp, lovezebs , I'll definitely have to look into sorting out something similar :D

kyle
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by kyle » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:48 pm

Since I've only had owls a short time I'm still discovering their personalities. I would have to say they are quite vocal. As far as being loud neighbors would never hear them. I would consider them on par with societies as far as volume goes.
Gouldians
Societies
Gold breasts
Owls
1 African grey
1 red min pin

- Kyle -

MiaLitla
Pip
Pip

Post by MiaLitla » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:23 pm

Thank you kyle , that's really good to know :) I was a bit worried about whether they'd bother the neighbours so it's nice that they're not too loud :D

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:55 pm

debbie276, I guess I'll stop worrying about my aviary birds getting cold in Central FL! ;) What a beautiful aviary!!
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

BrianB
Pip
Pip

Post by BrianB » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:57 pm

I love my owl finches. I have 6. We were keeping them outside with several cages of Gouldians and Star Finches. The temps went down to 37, and here in Phoenix that's pretty low. At the moment, everyone is in the garage because we had problems with rats. We're having an aviary built in a few weeks so they will all end up outside again. This time with a lot more protection from the rest of nature. In any case, I love the owls. They are always singing when I'm cleaning cages or feeding.