Lavender waxbills

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Lavender waxbills

Post by Sally » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:57 am

I haven't used the Quicko, but since you are in CA, Volkman's Featherglow Eggfood should be available to you. I like this mixed in with my hard-boiled eggs to make it drier so it can sit out all day without spoiling. It doesn't have insects in it, but I would add the f/d bloodworms.

Another high-protein product is from the Fly Farm. I haven't used these in quite a while but thinking of making up an order now.

http://www.skipio.biz/insect-food-for-caged-birds/

Congrats on the Lavender eggs, here's hoping they are fertile!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:30 am

Sally - thank you for your suggestions and the link to skipio. I've been reading up on these but will have to continue tomorrow.
Which ones of the skipio products have you used/would you suggest for me?
Iso

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:35 am

isobea

I would try it Iso, that's the best way to find out whether your birdies have a taste for it or not . I mean it never hurts to try, right (especially if it's only $9.00)

Let me know if they like it or not.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:24 pm

I did order one bag yesterday and according to the FedEx website it should arrive tomorrow. I will let you know if and how they like it. I will try to introduce it mixed with some fresh hard boiled egg and the first of this fall's chickweed.
Iso

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:57 pm

isobea wrote: Sally - thank you for your suggestions and the link to skipio. I've been reading up on these but will have to continue tomorrow.
Which ones of the skipio products have you used/would you suggest for me?
Iso
I have used the egg meal and the ova musca, both of which I used by adding them to my boiled egg mixture. I'd like to try the dried insects and perhaps some other products as well. I just ordered the 1# or smallest size of the finch insect mix, ova musca, egg meal, neonate, and bugs.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:21 pm

Hi everybody - it's time for a long overdue update. Between pre-Christmas business and the fire we had up here in North County last week, nothing has been quite normal. Thank goodness the fire in Bonsall/Fallbrook stayed 5 miles away and never reached us.

Anyway, about the lavenders: all three eggs were infertile.
BUT the Quiko Goldy eggfood arrived within three days and I've been mixing it with my regular Quiko eggfood and lots of hard boiled egg. ALL my birds love it. Sometimes they actually wait for me to put the dish down and then go right to it (canary, parrot finch, cordon bleu, the shaft tails and, definitely, the lavenders!) Thank goodness because the mealworm farm I used to buy my mini mealworms from might have burned in that fire. Haven't checked it out yet. They have a second location in Orange county and I can either go up there or mail order from them if that should be the case.
Iso

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:10 am

isobea

Hi Iso,

Five miles away is much too close for comfort for a fire. You must have been terrified my friend.

Too bad about the Lavender eggs, but what can you do.

Glad to hear that your little guys are enjoying the insect food.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:53 am

isobea I am very glad to hear that you are safe.
Marius

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:53 pm

lovezebs, MariusStegmann - Elana and Marius, thanks for your concern and kind words. Until today it was still bone dry every day and we are supposed to get stronger winds again over night. Those poor people in Ventura county, and now Santa Barbara county, have lost so much in the Thomas fire - and it is still spreading. It started 13 days ago, no end in sight.
Iso

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:46 am

isobea

Thank goodness you are okay. I hope everyone out that way are pulling together for their surrounding communities. [-o<

kcfd55
Mature
Mature

Post by kcfd55 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:16 pm

Iso:
o I grabbed my tweezers, sat down on the rocks and grabbed them as they showed up. Every time I had about 80 I put them in the aviary and the gold breasts ate them all
I used a Dustbuster vacuum to collect the adult harvester ants when I had one of those ant farms. I never tried it with the eggs, but I don't see why that wouldn't work. It might save on your back.

Mike

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:45 pm

kcfd55 - Hey Mike, what a great idea.
Did you also get some lavenders? I can't remember which species you got and how many pairs of each. But I do remember that it is a great collection.
BTW, my lavenders aren't doing anything right now.
Iso

Remembered something else: somewhere I read that sometimes you can find frozen red ant eggs (called 'kai mod deng') in Chinese markets/stores. Next time we go down to San Diego, I'll stop at 99 Ranch Market and see if I can find some.