Gouldian Finch mutations

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Gouldian Finch mutations

Post by debbie276 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:56 pm

There are variations in color in all mutations.
All mutations come from the normal green.
The Australian dilute is totally different from what some in the USA call dilute, so I don't like using that term at all.
SIngle Factor Pastel is one Pastel gene which makes the male gouldians a lighter green color with all black areas grey color. Also called Single Factor Yellow.
Head color makes no difference. Breast color does in males.
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Post by monotwine » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:40 am

Sorry didn't want to confuse. Single factor is a single factor pastel to my USA friends. Green was only referring to green back as earlier there was a query about dilutes. Here they are known as SF or dilutes. Not dilute greens. Sorry for misunderstanding. That is how quickly Gould get mixed up. :oops:

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:54 am

Gotcha, wish everyone learned and used more universal terms. It's funny how the same bird will have several different genetic terms depending on how you learn their genetics and where you live.
Debbie
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:59 am

tqcenter2002c

Don't forget get about the well established Dilute (not Single Factor Pastel) and Australian Yellow to add to you mutation database.
Both of these mutation are in Australia
Debbie
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue

tqcenter2002c
Pip
Pip

Post by tqcenter2002c » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:21 pm

Thanks, Debbie, On it right now!

I have been learning the history of the 4 Australian new mutations - of which are three basically.
  1. Australian Dilute - I really can see now how it differs from the SF pastel that called Dilute as well.
  2. Australian Yellow - A real Beauty that looks almost identical to the Black Headed White-breasted Yellow
  3. Lime - That now have two different looks
    1. Purple fronted
    2. White fronted
So that are now my 4 new subjects that I am starting to learn more in depth.
Already learned a lot at Australian Gouldian Site - Fantastico!!
Tons of info there and also the breeder that created the mutations is the owner of the site.

I also learned something else - the White-breasted that we know is also an Australian mutation. Correct!
Can that be as well that the Lilac is also Australian? - as I see it Lilac is combined with White more than with purple...
  • Also, since the Sea-Green and Opaline are new mutations - Does any of you seen them other than this forum? I would be happy to know. Also, I am interested to know are there also Blackhead Opalines and Sea-green and Yellowhead Opalines and Sea-greens?
Thanks for all your help.
Eric

tqcenter2002c
Pip
Pip

Post by tqcenter2002c » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:46 pm

monotwine wrote: Sorry didn't want to confuse. Single factor is a single factor pastel to my USA friends. Green was only referring to green back as earlier there was a query about dilutes. Here they are known as SF or dilutes. Not dilute greens. Sorry for misunderstanding. That is how quickly Gould get mixed up. :oops:
Thank you monotwine for explaining that part - now with your help things are getting clearer.

I have been studying the 4 Australian mutations (or maybe there are only 3) - and I am enjoying every second.
By all means - I have just felt like I have really been down-under and seen how the process of getting each and every mutation come to life genetically. It is so fascinating!!

I wish I could also find the same information about Sea-Green and Opaline!
Still have the question regarding the mutations that I have just mentioned. The part of the head coloring staid the same. I have seen up till now:
Black Head ONLY on both Lime variations - White fronted and Purple.
ImageClick here for info from original site - Great site!!
The others were reffed as the same EVEN that they have a different head coloration since it looks the same overall.. Black head and Red (or Orange) head on White breasted Yellow (SF or DF) looks the same and they are so "close" to white, That is why (I understood) they did not even take them in considerations.

There for (the way I see it and learned it that way) - there is ONLY Australian Yellow and NOT RH or BH or YH with the name of the mutation - So the Australian Yellow can be either Yellow headed or Red headed and also Black headed and it will be called Australian Yellow - And ONLY White breasted - since this as well makes the coloring fade more and create the pastel look that they have been looking for in this mutation. It looks the same as BH-WB-Yellow (SF or DF).

Regarding the Australian Dilute - It had been Purple breasted and the head coloring.. I think it was Black as well.. Not sure.

I really love these rainbow birds :) they are full of genetic colors.
I hope that I will be able to find the same amount of information on the Sea-Green and Opaline. They help me understand the other Colors as well.

Thanks,
Eric

tqcenter2002c
Pip
Pip

Post by tqcenter2002c » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:05 pm

Hi, I have a quick question regarding this mutation:
It is Diluted, Correct. And since it has a purple breast its head much darker then the one white breasted will have.

I am not that sure about this one since its head is very dark. To me it looks blue and very beautiful one.

Thanks.
Eric

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:40 pm

That is a BlackHead(YellowTippedBeak).PurpleBreast.Single Factor Pastel

Because of only one Pastel gene all black areas are greyish. Genetically he is a Yellow Head but can not show it because he has no red head gene.

http://www.finchinfo.com/genetics/lady_ ... colors.php
Yellow head (YH) is an autosomal recessive trait, but also requires at least one red head gene to be present in order to be expressed. If two yellow head genes are present on a bird that has no red head genes (and instead has black head genes), the bird will have a black head with a yellow tipped beak (YTB). This occurs because the bird is genetically a yellow headed bird, but it cannot express the yellow color because the yellow gene depends on the red head gene for expression, and the red head gene is not there.

Because of the lighting the camera may not take true to life colors.
Eric, do you have any gouldians? I think I asked before but don't recall an answer. It's best to see them in person if possible rather then pictures from many different sources to truly see the color differences.
Debbie
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue

tqcenter2002c
Pip
Pip

Post by tqcenter2002c » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:03 pm

Thanks, Debbie.
Now I understand it better!
Debbie wrote: That is a BlackHead(YellowTippedBeak).PurpleBreast.Single Factor Pastel
--- > Is this What is also called Dilute? I will put in my Database Pastel SF (since I use Body coloring first and then I will add the DF or SF where needed)
As I have mentioned - I am building a database that will include the Gouldian finch mutations as well.

I am learning the subject and I am planning to be a proud owner of a couple in the future. That is why I am studying them thoroughly as much as I can - so when time comes I will be able to pick the ones that I want - I might be picking almost anyone that i will see - But I must be focused on the coloring genes that I would be happy to work with.

At this point I have zebra finches that I keep at my friend's birdhouse and now we took a break and we will pair them back soon at the end of March.

That is why I can ONLY rely on images from the net. I have questions regarding what I see and I am sure that it would be great if I took the pictures myself. I wish I could do that.

I am still learning the genetics of the fantastic Gouldian finch and exploring it's mutations and I really enjoy doing that. Here I have learned so much thank to you all experts!! =D>

Thanks for all of your kind help.
Eric

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:20 pm

You haven't entered your location yet in your profile and a lot of what mutations are available to you depends on where you are located.
I'm sure you will really enjoy gouldians once you get them.
Best of luck
Debbie
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue

tqcenter2002c
Pip
Pip

Post by tqcenter2002c » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:44 pm

Thanks Debbie,

I thought that beside the Australian latest mutation I can find all the others at our local breeders - and I have seen many variation available here!

Best,
Eric

tqcenter2002c
Pip
Pip

Post by tqcenter2002c » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:22 am

Hi Again,

Still working on my Database and thank you all for helping me a lot!!

I am in the phase of learning the (NONE Australian) dilute - AKA SF Pastel (Correct?)
Since my judgment based on images that I see on the net I can base my understanding relying on that only :?

Here are three pictures of all three headed Gouldies and I would be happy to know if they are diluted? and how can I be sure of that?

Basically I have the understanding of diluted as diluting the black coloration - So if the bib is lacking color or disappearing that can be a dilute variation correct? and that is with RH and YH But with BH - they head should be grayish - is that also right?

Please let me know if the above are all diluted variations.
And I would be happy to get more elaborations on the variant as well.

Thank you
Eric