Poor Lil' Thing - Strawberry Finch in Denver

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Poor Lil' Thing - Strawberry Finch in Denver

Post by lovezebs » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:58 pm

w.l.

Oh darn, did I snap a Goldbreast by mistake??? #-o
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

CoMtnGal
Nestling
Nestling

Post by CoMtnGal » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:28 pm

Can't believe I didn't update here.

"Lucky" came home with me Wednesday, February 15th. He supposedly spent two days at the vet, but kept his sore foot. I put a heat lamp and dishes on the floor with clean soil. Gave him medicated water for a week. About 3 days in I soaked his foot and most of him, not intentionally, in epsom salt water. The black ugly scab came off and I dried and salved his teeny foot. He slept under the light until 2 days ago. He is much perkier and vocal and tried to bathe today. His foot is much better, and he is favoring it less and using it more. I had to move a bachelor red billed fire rich out that kept pushing him off of any perch of height he managed to climb to.

I have a network of perches for him to climb up as he cannot fly well though is getting stronger.

Yay Lucky!
Connie
http://www.aslansown.com
Is He Safe? "Safe? Of course He isn't safe, but He's good. He's the King I tell you."

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:28 pm

CoMtnGal

You are so good and so kind!!! I love animal rescuers, it's the desperate victims that always love you the hardest as well, as if they understand your compassion and rescue.

My parent-raised CFW female was on death's door when we brought her home, and now eats treats from my hands every day and grooms my eyebrows, but doesn't like to be touched.

I bet Lucky will make an especially wonderful companion!
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:10 pm

CoMtnGal

Yeah, I had to do that for my "rescue finch" as well as he had been kept in a tiny cage for months and couldn't fly when I got him. He sort of flung himself at the cage bars and would cling there and try to climb around.

He's fine now, but I had to make him a series of "ladders" to get around in the upper part of the cage at first.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:18 pm

CoMtnGal

How's the little guy doing?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

CoMtnGal
Nestling
Nestling

Post by CoMtnGal » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:14 pm

lovezevbs

Did you see my post above? He is improving daily and even singing. Still can't fly much.
Connie
http://www.aslansown.com
Is He Safe? "Safe? Of course He isn't safe, but He's good. He's the King I tell you."

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:07 am

CoMtnGal

I missed that post.

So glad to hear that Lucky is doing better.

Is there a problem with one of his wings as well? Or just not used to having flying room?

You mentioned putting 'clean soil' in the flights. What type of soil are you using? I have been looking into Organic soils and Forest soils, but always concerned about additives.
~Elana~