Shaft tail finches

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Re: Shaft tail finches

Post by isobea » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:48 pm

GouldianGuy - well thank you! I built it in 1989 and surprisingly enough, it is still holding up pretty well. During a strong wind/rain storm two or three years ago the plexi glass panel on the door was knocked off and broke (hence the tape), otherwise no complaints.
Iso

GouldianGuy
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by GouldianGuy » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:42 am

isobea is it always plexiglassed in? or is that just for weather/winter?
Do you have an "airlock" safety door?

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:19 pm

GouldianGuy - I built my aviary into the slope so there is a four foot concrete block retaining wall in the back and on the sides (stepping down towards the front). Both the left side and the back wall are solid (plywood sheets), the front and right side screen. It is 16 feet long but I have a divider inside that allows me to isolate birds I need to catch or in case I need to separate one or more from the others. That inside doorway is usually open but I built an extra door I can hang when I need to divide it.
And to answer your question: I only insert the plexi glass panels when there is a strong rain/wind storm predicted or to block the wind on really cold nights. I attached mirror clips to the 2x4s and the panels slide right in. Easy and doesn't take more than a minute or two. Though I have to admit they were quite pricy to begin with. Lowe's cut them to size for free.
I do not have an extra security entrance. But my door is only 4 feet tall and whenever I open it, everybody flies off towards the far end. I have to stoop down a little coming and going but you get used to that and it's a cheap solution. Haven't lost a bird yet (knock on wood).
I'll see if I can attach a picture showing part of the inside.
Iso
Attachments
avairy inside.JPG

GouldianGuy
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by GouldianGuy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:45 pm

Very cool!! great idea to have a convertible divider

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:41 pm

Well, well, well. Half an hour ago, I was out feeding the birds ahead of this big wind/rain storm we'll be getting in just a bit and decided to check on the sleeping nest of my brand new shaft tails. Mind you, I just bought them last week (on 2/9). Lo and behold there is an egg in it! I guess these two mean business.
Iso

marymac
Nestling
Nestling

Post by marymac » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:29 pm

I love your aviary!!!!
We're due to get your storm by tonight. I hear some of CA is really getting a lot!
Stay safe and dry :)
Mary Mac

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:37 pm

marymac - I just checked the rain radar and our forecast: it says rain starting in 2 minutes but a huge part of this system has moved south already (out over the ocean) without touching us. It's been windy since midmorning (20mph but not 60mph like they predicted).
We'll see what tonight will bring. In case it does come your way, stay warm and safe as well.
Iso

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:39 pm

isobea

Hi Iso,

Wow, that was quick... like getting pregnant on your honeymoon, lol.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:41 pm

Alright, she laid the third egg this morning - so far so good.
But I have a question for those of you who have bred shaft tails before: I keep seeing both birds collecting more nesting material, adding it to the nest even though there are already eggs in there.
Is that 'normal' for shaft tails? All my other birds always finished the nest before they started laying eggs...
Iso

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:16 pm

Update: earlier today I saw both of them outside the nest for quite a while so decided to check on the eggs. All 5 of them were clear! How disappointing! But maybe it was too much to hope for after I had just had them for such a short time.
Maybe next time...
Iso

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:42 pm

isobea

The Mrs. was in too much of a hurry, while the Mr. was still :- :- :-
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:46 pm

lovezebs - I suppose you are right. And I had just bought another thousand mealworms this morning wanting to be well prepared for the arrival of those babies on Monday... Oh well, somebody will eat them.
Iso

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:50 pm

isobea

How does hubby feel about Mealworm soup, lol ?
~Elana~

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:03 pm

lovezebs - he's a good guy who says he'll try anything at least once... :lol:

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:14 pm

isobea

Well there you go....
A bit of onion, some potatoes, just use your imagination :lol:
~Elana~