African vs Indian Silverbill?

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Dirosar
Pip
Pip

African vs Indian Silverbill?

Post by Dirosar » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:37 pm

Hello all. New to the forum and planning to start a finch aviary. My goal is cheerful and active birds with lots of chirping and singing. Among others, I'd like to get Silverbills. Somewhere I read that African Silverbills are relatively inactive. Does anyone know if that's true? Which would be the better breed given my goal? And I welcome thoughts on other breeds as well. The aviary will be in a solarium where winter temps could get down to around 50 degrees. Randy in Michigan.

kaswiderski
Pip
Pip

Re: African vs Indian Silverbill?

Post by kaswiderski » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:36 pm

Owl finches make pretty noises. the males at least. I am new here , just figured out how to respond. Mine are free flying in a lanai in Florida. nights go down to 50 here in the winter at times.. they do fine.

Dirosar
Pip
Pip

Post by Dirosar » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:45 pm

Thanks for the tip. And to be clearer in my original post, I was interested in whether African or Indian silverbills were more active and vocal.

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:15 pm

I only had Africans and didn't find them inactive. Not quite as active as some waxbills either, but still interesting. As for the singing, they are no canaries either!
No experience with Indians. They are a bit more slender and might be more active?
But the two are very similar so just get whichever you can.

Dirosar
Pip
Pip

Post by Dirosar » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:14 am

Thanks, W.i. Beginning to wonder whether the inactive claim about African Silverbills is accurate.