society finches - please share experiences summer heat

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Re: society finches - please share experiences summer heat

Post by zebsoc » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:55 pm

Thank you everyone, very helpful
I won't put any ice cubes in the bath water for the birds.

Society finches love to bathe,
Is it ok to just keep changing the bath water and let them bath throughout day in summer or should bath be limited to 2-3 times per day?

Sheather - that is reassuring that they did ok inside with 100 temperature.

lem2bert - I like the idea of water from frig to help cool. On really hot days the water from the faucet can feel warm.

I hadn't realized society could handle such hot temperatures. I was fearful because birds don't sweat and because the society r doing so well in the winter cool that they couldn't handle hot weather.

For large fish tanks 20 gal and bigger, 1 or 2 ice cubes (with water left to set first to declorinize before putting in freezer) because the cubes melt slowly, isn't a big help. The problem with just regular water is that left out overnight to declorinize causes it to already be at room temperature.
But the idea of putting water in frig is good for fish too, being careful and checking temperature when adding as Dave mentioned to see how any added lower temperature water is effecting the temperature so doesn't get to cold to fast, best little at a time.

I got some box fans at the end of last summer, so I'll be better prepared this summer.
Glad fans r ok to use around the society as long as not directed at them