My first Society

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

My first Society

Post by lem2bert » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:01 pm

I was at Petsmart today and I fell in love with a cute little society. I am not sure if it is a male or a female, but now I have to find him or her a cage mate. :D
DSCN2087.JPG
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Re: My first Society

Post by isobea » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:14 pm

lem2bert - Wow Betty, you did well! Love the look/coloring of your new society. Good luck with him/her and with finding a mate that is just as pretty.
Iso

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:15 pm

Societyfinches they are the best you will enjoy.Love the different color,all mine have more white then brown.
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked
Family of six ,Family of seven+three Society

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:48 pm

isobea and Barbara

Thank-you both !! I was kind of worried about just getting one, but he or she is singing away to the gouldians and the canaries and he ate and drank, so hopefully he will keep doing well :D His coloring is what drew me to him or her. I am sure I am going to have lots of questions for all the finch owner members ! :)

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:51 pm

lem2bert so if it's singing must be a little boy,his color is very different,I'm sure you will find him a friend soon.doesn't matter what you end up with they will be adorable together and fun to watch.Enjoy
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:53 pm

lem2bert ohhh I forgot if you do end up with a pair the babies are adorable :D
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:03 pm

Barbara

I have a feeling it is a boy , if I do find another and it is not a girl it is not a big deal, but it would be fun to breed them once. :)

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:01 pm

lem2bert sooooo tru both pairs I bought I said the same as you didn't matter because I dint want any babies.both society pairs turned out to be males and females.I want to breed my fawn girl,but have to get the gouldian babies hatched and switching bird room/spare bedroom.started out with a pair of society and look at my list now and I haven't added the new pair of society :D
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked

FinchGrinch
Nestling
Nestling

Post by FinchGrinch » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:03 pm

Societies thrive on company and the more the merrier. You really should get him a buddy, but good luck trying to sex one. They are very difficult to sex. If you got him a male buddy you could leave a nest in there and watch them build it, without ever having to worry about babies. If you get him a female you cant leave a nest in the cage or else you will have babies for sure. The males sing and change their posture a bit when singing. The females just chirp like a cricket, but its hard depending on where you get one, to listen and see. Congrats, what a beautiful bird.
John

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:55 am

Barbara and@FinchGrinch

Thank you both for your information. I am on the lookout for a second one. It is not important to have a male and female just a buddy !! I only have a 32"W x 19"D x 34" H cage for him, so I do not know if I should put more than 2 in the cage !!

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:53 am

Very cute, congratulations on your new society, wait until you get him friends then things will get silly and you'll love society finches even more.
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:55 am

lem2bert wrote: Barbara and@FinchGrinch

Thank you both for your information. I am on the lookout for a second one. It is not important to have a male and female just a buddy !! I only have a 32"W x 19"D x 34" H cage for him, so I do not know if I should put more than 2 in the cage !!
I had 6 in a cage that big and they got along fine. Go a head and get a few more, you'll love it and so will your society finch.
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:28 am

Tish

Thank-you :) . You convinced me, I will be on the lookout for a few more. I have them in a 36 inch long flight cage which is divided at the moment with my male canary on the other side. I plan on putting my canary in a 32 inch long flight cage , he will be in my living room as he loves people !! Then I will be able to give the societies the longer flight cage. Thank-you again for your information. :D

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:36 pm

lem2bert glad I could help, would love to see pictures when you get more feathered friends.

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:12 pm

lem2bert

My white finch was supposed to be a male - she would sing a little bit when I first got her - like a young male just learning his song.

BUT - when I actually did get a male (he was supposed to be a she) the difference in song became REALLY obvious. Also the males go all pear shaped when they sing - once you see it you will know it. It's hard to describe but obvious to the eye when they do it.

If you sit and watch long enough, you should be able to see them go pear shaped when they sing. That's probably the best way to try to pick a male. They look sort of like a bag of water if you try to pick it up by the neck - sort of pulled out.

I can't hear them through the glass now that they've gone to keeping them behind glass instead of in regular cages.

My little white hen doesn't sing any more. I think she just grew out of it. Juvenile hens will do that sometimes and I had sort of hoped maybe she was a little masculinized - but no such luck. She lays, oh my, she lays.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.