Female blue cap

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Female blue cap

Post by isobea » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:30 pm

Hi everyone, as some of you might remember I've been looking for a female blue cap for my poor lonely boy since last October. Today I found a female (barely two years old) offered for sale. Downside: she is indoors so I would have to keep her in the house for awhile longer before putting her outside. Also the guy - for some reason - clipped her wings several weeks ago. Since my aviary is 16 feet long and 6 feet tall, could she get around okay? I've never had a bird with clipped wings. Not sure what to expect. On the other hand blue caps are so hard to find I would like to get her and see how it goes. What do you think?
Iso

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Female blue cap

Post by lovezebs » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:54 pm

isobea

Hi Iso,

Congratulations!
You finally have your little girl :-BD

Now who in their right mind clips the wings on a Waxbill? :shock:
With her wings clipped, she won't be able to fly, just hop around a bit.

I know with Budgies, it takes several months for their feathers to grow back in. With a Waxbill, I'm not sure if you won't have to wait until she goes through a full molt.

Have you snapped any pictures yet?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:37 pm

lovezebs - Hi Elana, no pictures yet. In fact I haven't bought her yet. The guy texted me some pictures and a few video clips and she looks very healthy. He is only selling her because he lost his male about a month ago. I was wondering if I should get her and see how she does in the aviary (once the nights get a little warmer). If all else fails, I guess I could keep her in a cage until the next molt. But that's not really what I have in mind. I want her as a mate for my lonely boy. Oh, what to do?
Does anybody know what time of year blue caps molt?
Iso

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:14 pm

isobea

Hi Iso,

Personally, I would get her :D

Not sure when the Blue Caps molt.
I think my two little Red Cheeks CB's just went through a molt recently, seeing as my shorn chicken boy, seems to have new feathers coming in in his plucked areas.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:22 pm

I thought about what to do for a long time last night and finally decided against buying her. She just would not have been able to lead a normal life (build a nest, raise the young and even just get around easily) out in the aviary. Too bad, it seemed like the perfect match.
Iso

PS: But there is the big bird mart in Pomona coming up on 3/19. Maybe I can find a female there. Would you still like to go up ann?

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:49 am

If wings cliped means the long flight feathers having been clipped, you shouldn't necessarily wait till the next molt. If you pull out the clipped feathers, the bird should start growing new, complete ones right away.
So, it might still be worth getting, but should be kept in a small cage till the feathers have been replaced and it can fly again.
That should only take a few weeks.

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:25 am

w.l. - Too late! I stayed in contact with the seller and he told me last night that he did sell her. The new owner also has a lonely male and an aviary, but a small one that she would have no problem getting around in. The best part is that he lives in the next town east of us. Hopefully he will be interested in exchanging babies in the future - if I can find a female and they will successfully raise a clutch or two...
Iso