Housing/Species

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Vera
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Housing/Species

Post by Vera » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:42 pm

I have a cage size 30 long by 35 high by 18 wide. I have one canary, two gouldians and four societies and they all get along very well. I would like to add more color and have been thinking about getting a pair of cordon bleus
I have two questions:
1) Is the cage large enough to add another pair
2) Would a pair of cordon bleus be compatable? If not, what other suggestions are there?
Thank you! I always appreciate the good advice this forum gives me

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Re: Housing/Species

Post by Barbara » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:25 pm

Vera they would be compatible with each other,but I wouldn't add any more in that size cage.You could be like most of here and just buy another cage,add on to the one you have there are lots of options it just how much room you have I have 7 F030 cages with different kinds of finches in one room (bird room)and a double flight and another cage in my living room.Hubby is now saying [-X [-X "no more cages"
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked
Family of six ,Family of seven+three Society

Vera
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Vera » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:26 pm

I really would like to be able to house all the birds in one cage but if the cage is not large enough I will have to leave it as is. I dont really have the space for another cage

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:34 pm

I agree, no more birds in that cage!

If you don't have space to hook another cage up to the one you have (making a double wide flight cage) could you go to a new slightly larger cage? I think its the Prevue F050 that is 37" long x 23" wide x 42" high. 2 more birds would just about fit with your existing flock.

There is another alternative. Get one of the Petco 30" x 18" x 18" cages or something similarly sized. You should be able to set this cage on top of your existing cage - assuming it doesn't have a peaked roof. If it DOES have a peaked roof it might still work if you could mount a shelf over the top of the existing cage. It would need to be 20" wide so the cage would be stable enough and you'd need to use metal brackets to support such a wide shelf. Some of that wire closet shelving (the white stuff) in 20" width would work as well. The 20" width might be hard to find but I'm pretty sure Lowe's has it if Home Despot doesn't.

That Petco cage was JUST on sale. It'll probably go on sale again in not too long if you watch for it.

This way you would be able to put the cordon bleus in this separate cage without taking up any more horizontal space.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:00 pm

Vera

What type of cage is it, could you post a picture?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Vera
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Vera » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:23 pm

Unfortunately we dont have Petco in Canada so I cant order from there

I will try and post a picture :)

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:28 pm

Prevue makes an identical cage which could probably be found in Canada.
~Dylan

~~~

Vera
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Vera » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:52 pm

Thank you I will check that out. I would prefer having just one cage but I know that my current cage would not accomodatae any more birds.

Vera
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Vera » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:27 pm

I found the 30 x 18 x 18 cage on Wayfair website. There is the Prevue brand and the Pawhut brand. The Pawhut one is on sale and cheaper I am just wondering if anyone has any comments regarding the difference between the cage brands? I think I will go with putting anohter cage on top of the one I have
Thanks for the feedback

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:28 am

I've never heard of Pawhut but that may not mean much.

Do you have a link to the cage?
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

Vera
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Vera » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:42 am

lovezebs wrote: Vera

What type of cage is it, could you post a picture?
Sorry I tried to post a link but it wouldnt work. Its on the Wayfair website - the 30" Pawhut cage

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:14 pm

I looked but could not find anything on there by Pawhut but small animal cages and "chicken coops" (that were far too small for chickens).

However I DID find this:

Extra Large Flight Bird Cage by A&E Cage Co. (Model 4030FL)

https://www.wayfair.com/AandE-Cage-Co.- ... C1039.html

AAAARGH! it is 6' x 40" x 30". IT IS GINORMOUS!!!! WANT! WANT! Oh how happy my parakeets would be. It is on Amazon as well for slightly more money. One guy reports getting it from Wayfair for $200 - in Sept 2015 so its not like that review was from the 80s or something, LOL!

Oh my stars and little hoppy toads! My wishlist has just expanded.

Anyway. Back to YOU, LOL!

Does Wayfair deliver to Canada? Does Amazon NOT deliver to Canada? Because the Prevue cage is for sale on Amazon for about $44.

https://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Products- ... +bird+cage

Hmmm, I looked it up and Amazon DOES have a "Canadian shipping rates" page but it looks expensive - $2 a lb. On the other hand that cage shouldn't weigh that much.

On the other other hand, exchange rates from CAD to USD are not that favorable right now. In fact they're the worst I can remember - about 75%, eg $1 CAD = 75c US

There is also this:

http://www.borderlinx.com/CA/en/pages/b ... to-canada/

I have no idea if that is an affordable option or not, but it is at least a possibility.

Regardless I can't find the Pawhut cage at all. If you could just copy the URL from the address bar of your browser into the text of a post here that would work. You don't have to do anything special to copy a link into a post here.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:24 pm

Vera

WAIT! I see the confusion! In looking up Wayfair shipping policy I discovered that Wayfair has a separate website for Canada!

NOW I see the cage you are talking about:

https://www.wayfair.ca/Pawhut-30-Bird-C ... U1145.html

for $63 CAD

While the Prevue cage on the CA side of the border is $116 CAD!!!

That cage on Amazon is $80 CAD, but then there is the shipping kerfuffle.

Those cages may be exactly the same. I know there are a bunch of those white 30x18x18 cages that are coming out of China with all different brands on them. They are mostly exactly the same cage, or at least essentially the same cage.

Without seeing the cages in person its hard to say but they are clearly so similar that were I you I'd go for the Pawhut cage as it is nearly half the price of the Prevue. Those are essentially the same cage.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Vera
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Vera » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:30 pm

I think they are pretty close to the same too. Just shows that you really have to do research when purchasing cages there is quite a discrepancy in prices!
But yes that big cage is awesome...

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:48 pm

Sojourner Vera

Is this the cage you are talking about?
I'd buy 2 of them, and put them together lengthwise :D

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/PawHut-Metal-Bir ... 3ihXTUI%7E
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~