Society finches : male vs female vocalizations...

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
JillM
Nestling
Nestling

Society finches : male vs female vocalizations...

Post by JillM » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:45 pm

I know that one of the ways to determine sex of society finches is that the males will sing and have a very distinct "trill" sort of song - I have observed it but currently my finch is pretty young so have not heard "the song" but he is pretty vocal, sings, chirps, etc...I had two clutch mates and I would say they were nearly equally vocal...one passed away so I added a new finch this week (monday to be exact) and I think she is a she based on the obvious male behavior of other males around her in bird store before I selected her -- however she is SO quiet...like nearly silent...except for very quiet peeps and little chirps -- not sure if she is just still nervous and adjusting to her new home and companion or if females are really that much more quiet?
Jill M
4 Society Finches

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Re: Society finches : male vs female vocalizations...

Post by Shannylee » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:52 pm

I have 14 societies in a flight cage. The males turn into little pears and sing their hearts out. The females are my "watch birds". If an intruder (blue heron, hawk, or squirrel) enters the yard, the females sound the alarm. Loud chirps. Other than that, the females don't make much noise at all.
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

JillM
Nestling
Nestling

Post by JillM » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:22 pm

Shannylee wrote: I have 14 societies in a flight cage. The males turn into little pears and sing their hearts out. The females are my "watch birds". If an intruder (blue heron, hawk, or squirrel) enters the yard, the females sound the alarm. Loud chirps. Other than that, the females don't make much noise at all.
Okay, I was worried that perhaps the poor thing was just too scared to make a peep! She does give a nice little chirp when its time to go to nest for the night LOL. Looks like I have a male/female pair now then too! :)
Jill M
4 Society Finches

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:30 am

JillM

Female Societies chirp, sounding like crickets.
Males have a song and dance routine, which is really rather comical to watch.

Here's are a couple of videos which will give you an idea, but keep in mind that each Society male, has a slightly different song, which he learns from his father at a very young age.

Male song and dance:
https://youtu.be/AyLsoKIwsj8

Female sounds:
https://youtu.be/QroCdLnnIk8
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

JillM
Nestling
Nestling

Post by JillM » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:50 am

Lovezebs, Thanks for the videos! She is peeping/chirping a bit more now, perhaps still getting settled, but def more quiet of the two...the one I suspect to be my male hasn't fully "sung" yet with that lovely trill but he much more vocal - he is still young, maybe about 5 months? I am unsure of the new one/girl's age as she is from the bird store and all they could tell me is that she is "under or about a year"
Jill M
4 Society Finches

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:13 pm

My first society pair were both female - but my surviving white hen used to have a sort of truncated version of the male song, like a young male just learning his song. We thought she was "he" for the longest time. She either grew out of it or when faced with an actual male (her companion hen fell to egg binding and I got a new companion for Pyewacket who turned out to be male) fell into more gender-expected behavior.

Once I'd seen/heard the male song and dance, there's no mistaking the difference. If your "guy" is not going all pear-shaped when he sings (Pyewacket never imitated much of the dance part and definitely not the "going pear shaped" part) "he" may not be a male. If "he" doesn't start the behavior soon I'd suggest reconsidering "his" gender. With a female in the cage, he ought to be showing definite male courtship behavior.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.