New Society pecking at cage mate

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: New Society pecking at cage mate

Post by lovezebs » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:03 am

Red_Rose

Some preening can look like they're trying to kill wach other, but unless you're seeing feathers being yanked out, or bald spots, I wouldn't worry about it.

https://youtu.be/iQHDmdDpQ1o
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Red_Rose
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Red_Rose » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:29 pm

lovezebs

Thanks. I noticed that this morning. They didn't know I was awake yet so I could see that Momo was just trying to preen Sammy.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:41 pm

Red_Rose

If it's getting out of hand, you would be seeing feathers at the bottom of the cage, and you would see bald spots appearing on the back of the neck usually (although anywhere around the head area is not unusual either).

Some birds are pluckers, which is a really bad habit, and a very difficult one to break, so keep an eye on it.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Red_Rose
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Red_Rose » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:28 am

lovezebs

Sammy's bald spot on the back of his neck did get a bit bigger from the first society I had in there. I didn't see it until I had caught him to take him back to the pet store. I thought the feathers I had seen were from the new guy.

When I bought Sammy, they had kept the societies in with Java finches, zebra finches, and canaries. That could explain the ratty or in some cases, missing tail feathers and bald spots. Societies are now kept in their own enclosure.

Sammy's neck is getting better and there is no feather loss on either one of them.

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:05 am

I had read somewhere online that 2 male society where not the best grouping. Both want to establish their territory and dominance in the hopes of then being able to woo a female into joining them.

If u tried a female, as long as there is no nest, then there wouldn't be any babies.

Or it may just take some time for them to settle down.

Or maybe 3 males so the 2 younger ones could focus on each other?
Tho would need to be careful that both younger ones didn't pick on Sammy.