New Society pecking at cage mate

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Red_Rose
Nestling
Nestling

New Society pecking at cage mate

Post by Red_Rose » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:46 pm

Yesterday, I had gotten a new society finch for Sammy(who is a society) because his buddy Wayne, a Zebra, passed away from old age. :(

Well, aside from the new guy(both are males) being revved up to be in something bigger than what the pet store keeps them in, I've noticed that he has been pecking at Sammy's feet and especially his tail feathers. It doesn't look like he's rough with him but I am keeping an eye on them. The new one also likes to land on top of Sammy's back. Normally, Sammy is very talkative and singing all of the time but he's rather quiet today. Yesterday, before I got the new finch, Sammy was flying about and singing although not as much as he was with Wayne.

Is this normal behaviour for new societies? Sammy was never this way with Wayne. Do you think I should wait it out a bit to see how they turn out or do you think that it would be best to return the new one and try to get Sammy another buddy that won't peck at him? I'm more familiar with Zebras so I don't really know what is normal with Societies.

I attached a picture of the new finch. You can see a bit of Sammy in the pic.
Attachments
2017-03-09 14.34.33.jpg

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: New Society pecking at cage mate

Post by lovezebs » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:50 pm

Red_Rose

Hello,

Societies, are usually very social and laid back guys.

Is Sammy, an old bird? (because you'd mentioned that Wayne was old).

What you are describing, is a young rambunctious male, trying to become the ranking man in the cage.

Usually it's the senior Socie in the household that greets the newbie with this sort of behavior, the loud singing and posturing and the back mounting, etc.

In this case, it looks like your new bird is the more confident and dominant of the two, and he's letting Sammy know it. Sammy, may become cowed, anxious and uncomfortable with this situation, stop singing and try to stick to some hidden corner of the cage to get away from his new 'buddy'.

Personally, I would probably return this youngster, and try another Society, with hopefully a more gentle and laid back personality.

One word of caution, I would not bring a young Zebra male into this scenerio. If Sammy is uncomfortable with a new Society, he will be absolutely terrified of a young new Zebra.

When and if you get another bird, I would place it in another cage, close to Sammy's cage, allowing them to get to know each other this way for a while before throwing them together from the begining.

I mean compare it to a scenerio, where you'd have a strange 17 or 18 year old suddenly moving into your home without your permission or invite, and throwing their weight around, lol. Wouldn't be much fun now, would it?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Red_Rose
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Red_Rose » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:05 pm

lovezebs

I knew I was leaving out information!

Sammy is not old. From what I looked into when it comes to the ages of pet store finches, I'd say he wasn't a year old when I got him back in 2015. During that same year, I had taken my boys to the vet and he figured that Wayne was around 4 years old at the time. Sammy used to be as revved up at the new bird but when my Wayne started slowing down gradually last year, I think Sammy got used to it.

When I first put the new one into the cage, Sammy immediately greeted him with his puffy dance. I do remember Wayne not being as chatty when I first got Sammy. Wayne even made the hissing noise at him every now and then but he started to come around as the days went by. I have yet to see Sammy trying to hide from him. He still eats well and gets around good and he's been doing his puffy dance to the new one quite a bit since I posted this. Both birds even had a good bath today and had a couple of naps.

I wasn't even considering trying a Zebra because I know how pushy they can be. I really lucked out with the two zebras I had gotten before(my avatar pic) so I wouldn't push my luck. lol I do miss their meep sounds though.

I'll see how the new one is for today but if there is no improvement, he will go back.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:11 pm

Red_Rose

Ok then, it's not as bad as it originally sounded then :lol:

By the way, Wayne, at around 6, was not terribly old either (Zebbies can live 8-10 years, and some even up to 12 years).

Sammy, at around 2, is still a youngster himself, so should definitely not be a pushover for Newbie.

If they are napping together, and bathing together, with both doing the poofy dance, then I wouldn't worry too much.

I would however keep an eye, on foot peckibg, and tail feather pulling. Let him know with a strong NO! that this is not something you do.

LOL.... I've stopped a gang of Zebras, in mid battle ( bent on murder and mayham), with a loud NOOOO!!!

They all stopped, and looked at me with their wide open beady little eyes :shock: as if to say...oh boy, now we're in trouble....we got the giant mad at us :-SS
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Red_Rose
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Red_Rose » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:04 pm

lovezebs

The guess that my vet gave was just that, a guess. They were rescues so I have no idea what their actual age was. I wish the store that took them in would get that info from people.

I do want to give you an update. I did have to take him back. There were two white tail feathers on the bottom of the cage and I actually saw him trying to pull feathers out from around Sammy's neck. All day, I kept telling him "NO!" but he just didn't listen.

When they had a bath and napped, it wasn't together. They slept at opposite sides of the cage and the new finch tried to push Sammy out of the bath once. My decision may have been too hasty but after what my Wayne went through when I put in a new zebra for him, before I got Sammy, I couldn't let him go through the same thing.

Since Sammy is quite young, is it a bad thing for him to be so laid back? The most "aggressive" he's ever been was doing his puffy dance and then lightly pecking at Wayne's beak.

When I brought the box that I bought the little finch home in, into the room where the cage is, Sammy got rather excited and started his fluttering around and chirping. That was the most activity I saw from him today. LOL

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:39 pm

Red_Rose

Reminds me of kids when a new baby is brought home, lol..... Okay Mum, when can we take him back?

So back the newbie went. Did you pick out a replacement?
Maybe a sweet shy little girl.... :wink:
Sammy would be all :-BD \:D/ :-BD \:D/ Then he would puff up into the biggest pear shape, do the song and dance, and say:" Hi there baby..." :YMSMUG: :YMSMUG: :YMSMUG:
~Elana~

Red_Rose
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Red_Rose » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:54 pm

lovezebs

I feel bad about sending the little guy back but I didn't want Sammy being picked on and plucked. :(

I don't have a replacement yet. I'm going to check out another pet store tomorrow. It would be soooo tempting to get a little girl but I would be overrun with babies because I know I wouldn't be able to part with them. :lol:

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:45 am

Red_Rose

Don't feel bad , I mean you have to consider how Sammy feels. The whole idea, is to get him a companion that he'll be happy with, right?

Keep us updated.
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:57 pm

lovezebs

Have you found Sammy a new friend yet?
~Elana~

Red_Rose
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Red_Rose » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:44 am

lovezebs

I have! I got him on Friday but I have the new guy in a small cage next to the main one so they can get used to each other. When I put them together, I'll get a picture of him. He looks almost like Sammy but he has a crest. :D They seems to have the same temperament so I think they'll get along fine.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:54 am

Red_Rose

Wonderful news.

Crested Societies, are adorable :D Looking forward to some pictures soon.

I hope they will get along, and become really good friends.
~Elana~

Red_Rose
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Red_Rose » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:26 pm

lovezebs

Well it's been about a week, maybe a little more since I put Momo in with Sammy. Aside from some dancing and both of them trying to jump on the other's back, all seems good. Both cuddle up together and preen each other.

I have been noticing that in the last couple of days, Momo has been pecking at Sammy's beak and sometimes at his back/neck. I don't see any feather loss but I don't understand why he's doing this now. He's not doing this lightly either. It's fairly forceful.

I attached a picture but he's fast so it's hard to snap a good photo of him.

I'm clearly not having much luck here.
Attachments
2017-03-25 19.27.21.jpg
2017-03-25 19.27.21.jpg (64.71 KiB) Viewed 1670 times

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:03 pm

You could add 1 or 2 more, so they, as a flock, maybe would get along better.

My experience, when finches start to pluck each other it means frustration, especially because they want to breed, males do it more often too.

Red_Rose
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Red_Rose » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:25 pm

Ricardo Ronsini

The cage I have wouldn't be large enough for more birds. I'd like to possibly have a bigger one built for them someday but I don't have the money for that right now.

I could understand them wanting to breed if there were females in there but it's just two boys. :/

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:50 am

It doesn't matter if they are two boys, two girls, or different species, sometimes the mate don't even need to be a bird, if they have hot blood, they will pair up with anything :twisted:

Probably your first society already have some years, but the new ones that you are getting are more likely youngsters, full of hormones and urge to mate, that is why you are seeing all the hopping on the backs and plucking stuff.