Any Crow lovers Out There?

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Any Crow lovers Out There?

Post by lovezebs » Mon May 01, 2017 11:51 pm

w.l.
Maybe ghostly, but surely not ghastly.

Just grow your hair long, dye it white, done a long white wizard outfit, carry a large gnarled walking stick, place one of those white ravens on your shoulder, and walk into a room..... =)) . People would be.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

On a serious note though, I find them quite beautiful.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon May 01, 2017 11:55 pm

Shannylee

Yea, me too.

I love meeting up with them when I'm walking. I talk to them, and they cock their heads and actually listen, those black intelligent eyes following my every move with great interest.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Tue May 02, 2017 12:05 am

lovezebs wrote: w.l.
Maybe ghostly, but surely not ghastly.
To me, both! :-)
I find them horribly ugly.
Like those hairless cats.
An important feature of crowness is just missing!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue May 02, 2017 12:50 am

w.l.

Just look at that beautiful baby face...
Screenshot_20170501-222321_crop_771x502-385x251.png
Screenshot_20170501-222321_crop_771x502-385x251.png (158.08 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
How can you possibly resist???
~Elana~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Tue May 02, 2017 1:16 am

I think the white crows look angelic. But I adore all of the white bird mutations, in all species.
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue May 02, 2017 8:33 am

Sheather

Yea, me too.

I do have a soft spot in my heart for white birds.
~Elana~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Tue May 02, 2017 8:39 am

As a German guy has put it once "Gott sei Dank wir sind nicht alle gleich!", that is "Thanks God we are not all the same" :-)

I really dislike albinos in almost all species.
However, I make an exception for white Javas, the pure white color goes with their smooth plumage exceptionally well. But even in that species I still prefer the wild color.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue May 02, 2017 10:27 am

w.l.

The saying 'TO EACH HIS OWN' comes to mind, and yes, thank god indeed that we are not all the same, lol. What a a boring place this world would be.

I have often watched people go by in awe of how absolutely marvelous it is that each creature is an absolute individual.

Regarding these lovely birdies....they are not albino, they have ice blue eyes :lol:

I have white Zebras, white Societies, and hope to one day have white Gouldians as well.

Now you tell me that this is not a pretty wee Zebra? :D Or sweet little Societie ?
Attachments
20140918_172739-1-1-285x369.jpg
20140918_172739-1-1-285x369.jpg (20.2 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
2014-01-26 16.30.30.jpg
2014-01-26 16.30.30.jpg (35.71 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
~Elana~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Tue May 02, 2017 10:45 am

Nope, sorry, in my eyes they are not pretty, in fact there is a boring sameness to them all, lacking the features that would make one a zebra and the other a society! :-)
And as for white Gouldians... an old book of mine says that wild color Gouldians are so beautiful that any mutation can only make them worse and so no mutations should be bred - I fully agree with him! :-)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue May 02, 2017 4:45 pm

w.l.

Bahhhh...
So we should never breed for any different mutations ever again other than the original, and never have any white birds? :-L

It's like saying, we can't improve on Leonardo's Mona Lisa, so no one should ever paint another portrait again.... we can't improve on Michelangelo's David, so no one should sculpt again.... If these two and many others, had adhered to this philosophy we would not have had their works to awe us today.

I do agree that the normal Gouldian is a stunning bird.
Breeding different mutations, is not necessarily to improve on the original, but to create something new, perhaps not better, but different and hopefully as beautiful nontheless.
~Elana~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Tue May 02, 2017 5:36 pm

lovezebs

As far as gouldians go, I only like the normals and blues (I am very partial to blue). Anything else seems like it's taking something away. As for Javas, I prefer normals but also like whites. Euro black-brown societies are particularly nice-looking to me, and dark-eyed whites are neat as well. I guess it's dilute and piebald or other non-symmetrical mutations that I would rather not have.

With pigeons, I tend to like the color mutations more, seeing as they are usually plain birds, but I rarely like structural changes (enlarged crop in pouters, ridiculously short bills in owls, etc). And now I really want to make a thread about pretty pigeons...

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue May 02, 2017 10:18 pm

Icearstorm

You only like Normals and Blue's ?
How 'bout this boy of mine?
Attachments
20160312_122354-1.jpg
~Elana~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Tue May 02, 2017 10:53 pm

lovezebs
Sorry, I'm not too keen on yellow-backs; not enough contrast for my liking. He does look like a good-quality mutation, though.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Tue May 02, 2017 11:29 pm

I like all of the mutations, I think they are beautiful for their contrast, when in the presence of natural birds, and less so if it's all you have. Like spices.
~Dylan

~~~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Wed May 03, 2017 12:07 am

lovezebs wrote: w.l.
So we should never breed for any different mutations ever again other than the original, and never have any white birds? :-L
I didn't say you shouldn't, just that I wouldn't.
And quoted another opnion on Gouldians, that I personally agree with.

Of course different people have different tastes.
So now we have colorless Gouldians, hairless cats, dog breeds shaped to have difficulty moving or breathing, dwarf hamsters producing eyeless young, goldfish unable to see food in front of them... all because many people find them beautiful or cute or funny.
I don't.