Any Crow lovers Out There?

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Any Crow lovers Out There?

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:17 am

~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:39 pm

w.l. wrote: Well, what about canaries of this sort?
6fd7e1618d166ae717cc7983e4f5ffee.jpg
In my eyes, very much a "grotesque freak", with lovezebs' words.
Mmm...." Gibber italicus " posture canary.....absolute YUK :YMTONGUE:

Birds like this shouldn't even of been thought of, what on erf was they thinking who ever first created these birds :roll:

Justmatt
Pip
Pip

Post by Justmatt » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:16 pm

Yep love corvids I've got a jackdaw who come and go as he pleases he spends most successful of the time on the window sill saying foot because when he was a youngster I would put my foot out for him and say foot for him to jump up onto

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:15 pm

Justmatt

Hello and welcome to the Forum from Canada.

How wonderful for you to have formed this friendship. How on earth did he ever end up on your window sill in the first place.

I keep hoping that I'll find a Crow or Magpie nestling (before fledging) and be able to raise him as my sidekick, lol.

They are amazing birds.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Justmatt
Pip
Pip

Post by Justmatt » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:42 pm

lovezebs wrote: Justmatt

Hello and welcome to the Forum from Canada.

How wonderful for you to have formed this friendship. How on earth did he ever end up on your window sill in the first place.

I keep hoping that I'll find a Crow or Magpie nestling (before fledging) and be able to raise him as my sidekick, lol.

They are amazing birds.
he was a fledging who had been got by a cat I rescued him and he just didn't want to go when I gave him his freedom I really didn't want to imprint him but he had other ideas I got a couple of pics I'll post later

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:54 pm

lovezebs

Don't you have shelters where people might take in such birds found, and where you could adopt?
Seasonwise, now would be the time, I guess.

If you succeed, make sure to keep the corvid safely away from your finches as it might kill and eat any it can catch!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:47 pm

w.l.

We have Wildlife Rehabs and Wildlife Rescues, but you can't adopt from there. They offer medical care where needed, rehab and release where possible. If not possible, then the animals stay there for life, or may go to the Zoo, where they are cared for for life.
~Elana~

Justmatt
Pip
Pip

Post by Justmatt » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:25 pm

A couple of years ago there was a carrion crow who couldn't fly from a fledgling he bonded with a friend of mine unfortunately my friend could keep him and at the time neither could I,he was taken in by a wildlife centre and then was adopted by a wildlife photographer since then he's featured in tv ads and magazine shoots as has a friends raven

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:50 pm

Justmatt
That's interesting. Where I live, it is illegal to use captive, non-domesticated animals for profit unless it is related to hunting or fundraising. For example, a falconer can feature their birds in an advertisement for telemetry, but could be sentenced if they used the same bird for an unrelated movie. Several American movies have captive raptors in them, so people must be going to other countries to film. England has looser regulations for captive-bred and disabled birds, so maybe this is where some of the scenes are shot.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:06 pm

~Elana~

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:41 pm

My personal brain power is diminishing as I get older. The experiments show that Ravens can plan and think through problems that have multi-part solutions.

Maybe I should get a Raven to help organize my life.

In the far North, many people have reported seeing Ravens and Wolves following the same track. The Ravens fly ahead to spot caribou, and lead the wolves to a meal. The wolves make a kill and the Ravens get the leftovers. It has been observed so often that most scientists accept it as fact.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:31 pm

Dave

I know what you mean about our poor brains as we get older.

I wonder if Ravens and Crows suffer from deminished mental capabilities when they age, the same as humans. That would be an interesting study, would it not?
~Elana~

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:17 pm

lovezebs, yes, a study of older crows would be interesting.

I can just see them, hunting for their glasses, wandering from tree to tree trying to remember where their book is, and forgetting that today is Monday and OMG, I was supposed to.....
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:19 pm

Dave

Ha hah hahhh.... :lol:
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:05 pm

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/node/11296

More interesting little facts about Crows.
~Elana~