A dream come true! Finally!

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

A dream come true! Finally!

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:30 pm

My poor Java Tux had to be housed by himself for months. He was just too pushy with the societies (he was housed with zebras for a short time).

It seemed impossible to find Javas in my state. I found a lovely young lady who has a breeding pair and yesterday I finally got my java hen!! And she wasnt cheap. $100 (and I paid it GLADLY) \M/

Although she is parent raised, she is also sort of tamed (if she flies out of the cage she flies to the top of your head *so cute), but she doesnt like you to go for her with your hand. She incredibly calm. This has caused an instant peacefulness in my flighty Tux. <3

He's SO elated to have her with him. And they are already eating together, jumping in and out of the nest and playing follow-the-leader all over the cage. Chirping back and forth in conversation. I'm so happy I could just burst! \:D/

Her dad was normal and her mother a gorgeous fawn. She's just finishing her first molt and only a few months old
Attachments
TuxAndLady.jpg

GouldieFledge
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Re: A dream come true! Finally!

Post by GouldieFledge » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:03 pm

Congrats babs, beautiful birds! Javas are a rarity around here, too. So happy for your little guy!

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:33 pm

GouldieFledge

I'm so in love with these two I moved their cage into my office so I can enjoy them all day as I work. :YMDAYDREAM: The little conversations they are having with each other is adorable.

GouldianGuy
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by GouldianGuy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:08 pm

Giggidy giggidy here come the Java babies

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:13 pm

Why are they so hard to find? Are they difficult to breed?
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:37 pm

GouldianGuy

Ohhh I certainly hope so GouldianGuy!!

MisterGribs

There are laws here prohibiting them from crossing state lines. :( So some states, like mine, there aren't a lot of people breeding them nearby. And when you do find someone in the state, they could live 100's of miles away, so it becomes very difficult to pick them up.

I'm blessed the person I found is only about 15 minutes away from my home. She only owns 1 pair and they were in excellent condition.

Watching the youngsters fly on top of her head was adorable.

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:51 pm

Congratulations very pretty.
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:15 pm

Sounds like a great find.
In such a situation I care little about the price either, happily pay higher than "normal" for a quality bird that is hard to find.
Wonder how that breeder tamed them.

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:49 pm

Babs
Oh yea girl !!!! So happy you found the bird you were looking for...so fun and exciting. Beautiful birds !!!

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:09 pm

Beautiful Javas! I hope you have good luck raising Java babies. W.I. Javas are known to be the tamest of finches around people. When I got mine a few months ago at a bird show, she was really wild, but tamed down quickly. She was raised in an aviary, but I keep her in a 30 X 18 X 18 cage next to another Java. She seems very happy and very playful, will nibble on my fingers and plays with toys. The laws need to be changed before these wonderful birds disappear.

JillM
Nestling
Nestling

Post by JillM » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:27 pm

Beautiful! So glad your little man has a friend!
Jill M
4 Society Finches

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:33 pm

w.l. Jen wildbird

WI , I am just love-struck with Javas. I dont know why. Maybe its the solid contrast in color. Im a pattern-junky. I not only love self society scales I love the checkerboard black an white java heads, the gorgeous slate grey tummy. And the SONG!! Its so robust and beautiful. The beak is strong and bright.
She tamed them by handling them all through their upbringing. Much like you can some small hookbills.

Jen and Wildbird. Thanks! Ill try out a few toys. These guys really have an intelligence going on with them. They watch everything closely .

He's already singing for her.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:34 pm

JillM

Me too! He was a lonely little guy. Now to make sure he doesnt get over-eager. :wink:

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:38 am

Babs

What a pretty little girl.

I'm so happy for you Babsi. I know you've wished for a girlie for your boy for quite some time now.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:12 am

wildbird

My Javas are wild-caught and certainly not tame.
I think tameness comes from domestication.
Wild-caughts are also known to be hard to breed.
I bought my two in juvenile plumage and they may be 2 hens. No singing so far.

@Babs

I also think wild color Javas are beautiful.
The ever tidy, smooth plumage combines well with the simple but contrasting colors.