A dream come true! Finally!

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: A dream come true! Finally!

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:15 am

lovezebs w.l.

Elana, you know it! Even the pet store out here was sporting lavenders, cordon blues, cutthroats, owls. And all I wanted was that elusive java. They were right under my nose all along.

WI I agreed completely

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:46 am

Babs

Next time you're in the pet store grab a couple of Lavenders, put them in a box, and send Bubba over asap.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:20 pm

Babs, Javas love a swing. I bought one at a bird show with the crystals that are all the way around the wire. Then I added some short leather strips to each end and used a leather strip to tie it to the top of the cage. She plays with the dangling strips of bird safe leather and the twirly crystal pieces on the sides. Even sleeps on it. Good luck with your Javas!

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:23 am

lovezebs

Oh boy I would if I could!

@wildbird

You happen to have a picture of that swing? Sounds interesting.

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:32 pm

MisterGribs

They are actually extremely east to breed. Have HUGE Clutches of babies. That is why you cannot cross state lines or ship them. I think they are afraid that if they get loose and establish a wild population that they could wipe out grain crops. I have just one pair, have not given them a nest because one is still just about 6 months old.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:00 pm

Babs, I can't tell you how happy it made me to read this. I'm so glad that you found a hen for Tux!!

I believe that my chick was male. He just finished coloring out and the day before I flew to VA for the long drive across the country, he escaped when I was cleaning cages. :cry: The dad also got out but I managed to get the screened door closed before he flew out into the great outdoors too. They have a new chick that fledged a few days ago. Not sure why they can't seem to raise more than one kid at a time.
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:33 am

Shannylee

Thanks Sharon. I'm sorry your little java guy got out. :( Its very odd that your pair raise only one at a time. How many eggs is the hen laying at a time?

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:10 am

Babs, I just cleaned their nest and removed 5 duds. ?? Before I left in March, she was feeding 3 chicks but only one survived. The are both very attentive and healthy parents. Strange.
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:11 pm

Congrats on getting your hen! Javas are beautiful birds and supposed to be quite intelligent.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:00 pm

Sally Shannylee

Thanks Sally! They seem very inquisitive and watch everything you do. The males song and vocalizations the pair make between each other is robust and beautiful. Its a wonderful contrast to the soft sounds of my gouldians.

Sharon, I'd be interested in hearing how they do on the next clutch. Possibly they are young and still need a bit more practice?

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:23 pm

Babs, the new java chick is out of the nest and mom has eaten an entire cuttle bone. She also gets very bossy when she's in the mood for love. LOL!!

Not sure if it's because she is/they are new at this or if it could be related to the weather. My javas live in a flight cage on my patio. We had a mild winter but a few nights of cold (40's) weather. Mom and dad do fine and they are on the eggs/chicks constantly so I didn't put heat on them. ?? Maybe their spring/summer chicks will do better. Mom and dad are very healthy and the surviving chicks have been very healthy too. They are also excellent parents so I have no idea why some of their chicks don't make it.
~Sharon

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:30 pm

Babs, I have pictures of her on the swing, but have never sent a picture on a computer, and have no idea how to do it. Not sure if it could be done on this computer which is XP on dial up. They used to sell them at the bird show in Orlando. It has small pretty blue and clear crystal beads all around. I added a bird safe leather strand to each end and put one at the top to tie to the top of the cage. She loves to pull on the leather strips and make the swing twist around. Never saw a bird have so much fun with a swing!

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:06 am

wildbird

Well it sounds like my Javas need a swing! I'll look around the internet for something that seems similar. Timothy hay has become of great interest to them recently.

And sometimes they take out a groat from the seed cup and share it, passing the back and forth. They are bonding for sure, playing follow the leader all over the flight.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:27 am

Babs

Trust me, the swing doesn't have to be anything special, any larger sized swing will do. My crew will even have a noisy arguments about whose turn it is, lol.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:37 pm

lovezebs

I might have to hold off on the swing for a bit. Charm & Tux shamelessly mated all day while I chatted with clients. #-o

I was just noticing her beak looked redder than usual a few days ago. I'm now going to assume that is a sign a Java female is coming into season.

I don't want to add anything new to stress her. She's a bit young to be laying. Calcium and Vit D has been added to the water, egg & eggshells on the way. I added an extra cuttle bone.

Gonna keep a wide eye on her and keep her relaxed.