Crimson-rumped Waxbills

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Crimson-rumped Waxbills

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:39 pm

It looks like I may be getting two crimson-rumped waxbills shortly. I can find hardly any information on them, aside from that they are passive, breed fairly easily, and require similar care to the common waxbill. Does anyone have experience with these birds?

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Crimson-rumped Waxbills

Post by Jen » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:08 pm

Sorry, but I have no experience with them....but can't wait for YOU to share yours along with some pics !!!!! Hope you get them SOON!!!

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:00 am

Jen
I want a male-female pair, but they are monomorphic, so I've only got a 50% chance of getting a pair. At $42 a bird, it's a risk, but I think I will take that risk, assuming the other bird comes in. Now I just need to make some space for them...

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:30 pm

Jen
The store says they are not receiving any more ever. So I won't be getting the lone one.

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:48 pm

Icearstorm

That may well be because the East African countries where these birds used to be imported from stopped exporting about a year ago.

The rather similar Black-rumped and Common waxbills can still be imported from.West Africa, so you could consider those instead.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:53 pm

w.l.
So if there are no breeders in other countries, the bird is lost to aviculture. Hmm...

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:03 pm

It may well be bred in Europe, and there might be breeders in the US, too.
But it wouldn't be the first species to be lost from aviculture, at least in North America, for lack of breeding efforts.

Anyway, who knows when the West African countries follow suit? So get those other waxbills while you still can, and start breeding then! :-)

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:53 pm

Icearstorm
Oh my, so sorry to hear the news. I know how it is when you have your heart set on something special.......but I agree with w.l. Get all the waxbills species you can get your hands on and let the breeding begin!

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:28 am

w.l. Jen

There's a bird fair pretty soon that's not too far from me, so I think I will check it out. With my cage having squares 1/4" wide, I could even keep goldbreasts, but I may go with a larger, somewhat calmer waxbill species, as I don't think my societies could foster tiny birds if anything went wrong. I'll probably get a couple more chocolate selfs, as well.