Two: male gouldian covering up eggs; 1 nestling won't fledg

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
MAB1947
Pip
Pip

Two: male gouldian covering up eggs; 1 nestling won't fledg

Post by MAB1947 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:05 pm

Hi Everyone,

I don't know if I should post 2 topics, please pardon me if I should have. I have two pairs of Gouldian finches - both pairs are good parents. One pair has a "clutch" of one who refuses to leave the nest (this is day 23) and Mom has already laid 5 eggs in the nest.

A second pair - the cock is constantly covering the eggs up with nesting material. When i was sure to remove all material he tore up newspaper and used that - determined little guy.

Does anyone have any insight please.

Mary Ann

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Two: male gouldian covering up eggs; 1 nestling won't f

Post by lovezebs » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:53 pm

MAB1947

Reg. The little one who won't leave the nest. Just leave him in there, until he's ready to leave.
No worries, the parents will be sure to let him know, if they get sick of him :lol:

As to the male who keeps covering the eggs...lol.
He wants to have more fun before he becomes a full time Dad. He simply wants to mate again, the little Casanova.

If he keeps doing that, you might have to remove him from the cage, to give Mum a chance to sit on her eggs and hatch them.

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

MAB1947
Pip
Pip

Re: Two: male gouldian covering up eggs; 1 nestling won't f

Post by MAB1947 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:05 am

Thank you!