Need help deciding what species of birds to get

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Need help deciding what species of birds to get

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:51 pm

There is a bird fair later this month that I may be able to attend. I currently have two Lady gouldian finces and seven societies, but am planning to sell 2-5 of the society finches to make some more room. I am wondering which bird species will work for a mixed flight. Right now I am stuck between goldbreasts and common waxbills, but I may consider different species if they fit the requirements. I want to get at least a pair, and they will need to be okay in a small quarantine cage for a while (I may be able to let them fly around outside of the cage every once in a while).

Requirements (in order of importance):
Peaceful; will not kill any of my other birds
Easy to keep in good condition
Sexes do not need to be separated when not breeding

Less important, but desired (still in order of importance):
Easy to breed
Do not require live food to breed successfully
Look nice
Somewhat inexpensive (not going to pay $200 for a pair)
Can sing
Active

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Re: Need help deciding what species of birds to get

Post by Shannylee » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:39 pm

Icearstorm, either species should fit the bill of what you are looking for. I don't have Commons but will get them eventually. I do have a m/f pair of Gold Breasts and they are housed in my aviary with 5 Gouldians, 4 Spice finches, 20ish Canaries, and a pair of Orange Cheeked Waxbills. The GBs are SO tiny and they are very peaceful, pretty, don't fight other birds, don't fight each other, and they are already setting up a nest (just introduced at the end of March after 90 days of quarantine). I paid $60 for the pair at a bird mart in Orlando.
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:36 pm

Shannylee
Maybe I could get a pair of both? The gears are turning...

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:00 pm

Icearstorm

Check out Owl Finches, while you're looking around.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:10 pm

lovezebs
They seem cute and sweet, but by the way my society finches act I think I could end up with hybrid babies. One of the males even courts the female gouldian, which looks and sounds pretty much nothing like a society; only her hissing or a separate cage will keep him away... Waxbills can't hybridize with society finches, can they?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:13 am

Icearstorm

Are you asking if Societies and Owls can hybridize?

This question has been asked on here before. Here's the link...

http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31594

I do believe we'd reached the conclusion, that technically they can, but are unlikely to do so.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:24 am

Icearstorm

Are you asking if Societies and Owls can hybridize?

This question has been asked on here before. Here's the link...

http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31594

I do believe we'd reached the conclusion, that technically they can, but are unlikely to do so.
~Elana~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:07 am

lovezebs
I have heard and seen photos of society x owl hybrids, and was wondering if societies and various waxbill species, not owls, would try to hybridize. I haven't heard of any waxbills aside from cordon bleus hybridizing with society finches. The gouldians are resistant to the societies' advances, but I fear more cuddly species may clump up with the society finches for allopreening, which could end with one of the male society finches mounting and mating with his preening partner (a lot of the society finch matings occur immediately after allopreening). I just fear my society finches would try to mate with various species, so I don't want to risk hybrids or dud eggs, as females may be stimulated to lay after copulation, even if there is a genetic incompatibility between two species (resulting in loss of productivity).

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:03 am

Icearstorm

I have come across this list of possible Society mixes, but am not sure about some others.

"Society finches have hybridized with many other species, including: cut-throats (Amadina fasciata) red-faced parrotfinches (Erythrura psittacea), red-cheeked cordon bleus (Uraeginthus bengala), the Madagascar munia (Lemuresthes nana), plum-headed finch (Neochmia modesta), star finch (N. ruficauda), Java sparow (Padda oryzivora), long-tailed finch (Poephila acuticauda), black-throated finch (P. cincta), masked finch (P. personata), diamond firetail (Stagonopleura guttata), owl finch (Taeniopygia bichenovii), zebra finch (T. guttata), and many of the Lonchura species including: Bengalese munia (L. acuticauda), black-and-white munia (L. bicolor), African silverbill (L. cantans), chestnut-breasted munia (L. castaneothorax), bronze munia (L. cucullata), chestnut munia (L. ferruginosa), yellow-rumped munia (L. flaviprymna), magpie munia (L. fringilloides), dusky munia (L. fuscans), grey-headed silverbill (L. griseicapilla), black-throated munia (L. kelaarti), white-bellied munia (L. leucogastra), Javan munia (L. leucogastroides), white-headed munia (L. maja), white-throated silverbill (L. malabarica), Indian black-headed munia (L. malacca), grey-crowned munia (L. nevermanni), brown-backed munia (L. nigriceps), scaly-breasted munia (L. punctulata), white-rumped munia (L. striata), black munia (L. stygia), and black-breasted munia (L. teerinki). Therefore, be careful to avoid cross breeding your society finches. "
~Elana~

GouldianGuy
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by GouldianGuy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:48 am

I say ditch the societies and get Owls and waxbills! =D>

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:00 am

GouldianGuy

Personally, I tend to get attached to my birds, and don't believe in 'ditching' them.

Societiies, are lovelable, peaceful little birds who are very nice to have around, and usually more than willing to foster other birds' eggs, and raise their young.
~Elana~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:06 am

GouldianGuy
I spent a good amount of time looking for some chocolate selfs, so while I am considering selling the pied birds and one or two of the chocolates, a certainly don't want to sell them all.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:10 am

lovezebs
I have never seen a list that long for potential hybrids of other species; I guess society finches are just horny :lol:

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:28 am

Icearstorm

LOL...
I don't think it's a matter of being "horny", but they do tend to want to LOVE everybody <3 .

I have often thought, that they should have been named LOVE BIRDS, rather then the other evil little hookbills :twisted:

That list btw, is from the Finch information Center: http://www.finchinfo.com/birds/finches/ ... _finch.php

I personally, have kept Socies with Zebras, one old male Cut Throat, one male Shaft Tail, and one Diamond Fire Tail together, and have never had any hybrid infants crop up.

I think if you were to get two or four Owls, you will see them hanging out together and leaving the Socies alone.

There are other species as well, that you could house with Societies, as long as this other species is not aggressive. Stars, are also sweet little guys, and tend to be peaceful and good natured.
~Elana~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:57 am

lovezebs
That's good to know; I may consider some, but wow, I forgot how expensive all these birds are! I guess I'm used to paying $10 for the society finches and not expecting anything else to come near the price of a gouldian.