Java Sparrow

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
SuperSaiyan
Hatchling
Hatchling

Java Sparrow

Post by SuperSaiyan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:06 am

Hey,I am a new member here this is my first post.guys I want to know about prime vitamin supplement recently my java hen laid an egg but it was without shell she laid the egg on floor after that I searched on google about egg without shell I found that there is lack of calcium in my java hen that's why she laid egg without shell.after then I visited my nearby pet store I told them about hole story and I also tell them that I searched it on google and there lack of calcium then he gave me prime vitamin and told me to mix it in water and he also said she will lay another egg with in three day.so I am confirming that should I gave prime vitamin to my bird or not?!

Zebrafincher
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Re: Java Sparrow

Post by Zebrafincher » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:15 am

Hi there,

I have a very old Star finch (he's always been on the runty side) and I've been giving supplement to his food for several years now. He's always had bad feathers, and doesn't seem to absorb a lot of nutriment regardless of what I give him (My vet thinks its probably genetic). He's been a lot better since I gave him vitamin supplements and access to lots of greens. Vitamins can definitely help your birds

Good luck

Zebrafincher

SuperSaiyan
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by SuperSaiyan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:27 am

Hey,
Can we give prime supplement in boil rice sprinkle on it ?! And how many hour should we keep food in there cage with supplement on it?!

Thank you!

SuperSaiyan
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by SuperSaiyan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:44 am

Waiting for reply? :D

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:29 am

Hmmm well how long you can leave food depends on what kind of food. If it's something like chicken or egg, take it out after just a few hours. Fruit or veg, probably rice, can stay out for about 6 to 8 hours.

If the vitamins go into the water and dissolve well, it's much better than adding it to the food.

Do you have cuttlebone or ground eggshell always available for your birds?
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

SuperSaiyan
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by SuperSaiyan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:44 am

I add prime supplement to both water and rice,and also is it okay to give rice everyday with prime on it? And also prime in water daily?

SuperSaiyan
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by SuperSaiyan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:49 am

No i dont give them cuttlebone or eggshell! Is'nt prime enough for them instead of cuttlebone or eggshell i mean prime also contain vitamin and calcium?

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:27 am

SuperSaiyan I definitely wouldn't give rice every day, especially not white rice. There isn't enough nutrition in rice to keep your bird going! Rice is more like a treat for them.

It's very important to give eggshell and/or a cuttlebone to your birds at all times. The prime supplement is good as an extra measure, but since I don't know the exact brand or what's in it, I certainly can't say whether it will be enough. Birds, especially female birds, use a LOT of calcium! It's lucky that she laid an egg with no shell. Most birds in this situation with no proper calcium will die a horrible, and painful death from something called egg binding.

Your finch absolutely needs and will die without:
  • Access to clean water every day, all day

A clean, secure cage appropriate for finches

A finch-specific mixture of seeds, not just any seeds are enough

A source of calcium such as crushed egg shell, calcium powder or cuttlebone

A complete avian multivitamin with iodine in it
Those things are the absolute minimum a finch needs to survive.

There are lots of other supplements you can give your finches, they love crushed boiled eggs, shredded vegetables and fruits, berries, dry cereals such as cheerios, a sand box to play in, etc. These things will be great and give your bird a very happy life.
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:13 am

SuperSaiyan

A cuttle bone is not only for calcium, it also helps them trim their beak and gives them another source of foraging.

Yes, you can overdose a bird on supplements. The most I can say is carefully follow the directions on your brand of supplements.

I have no problem with using liquid calcium 3 days a week and having a cuttle bone in my cages at all times.

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:45 am

Among other things, I always have a dish with crushed egg shells available for my birds. When a female gets ready to lay eggs, I see a noticeable difference in how much of the egg shell is eaten every day. In fact it is so obvious that I know one of my females is getting ready to lay when suddenly more than the average amount of egg shell is eaten.
So please, supplement your java with either shells from hard boiled eggs or bake them in the microwave first if they are from raw eggs.
Iso

SuperSaiyan
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by SuperSaiyan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:10 pm

Prime is by hagen and approved by hari.from now on i will provide my bird eggshell.is cuttlebone nessecary?

SuperSaiyan
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by SuperSaiyan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:14 pm

In which soft food should i provide prime supplement java fav?or should i provide only in water?

SuperSaiyan
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by SuperSaiyan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:18 pm

Can i provide eggshell and prime supplement at the same time prime in water ?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:40 pm

SuperSaiyan

Hi, and welcome to the Forum from Canada.

Now regarding the diet of your Java Finch...
Is she an only bird, or are there others with her?

What exactly are you feeding you'r Java(s)?
You mention boiled rice.

Although Javas, are known as Java Rice Sparrows, rice is definitely not enough for them, nor is it healthy to feed that alone.

***Java Finches, need a good quality seed diet.
A mixture of Budgie Parakeet and a Finch/Canary seed mixture is required. Seeds like White Proso Millet, Canary Seed, and Oat Grouts, are important. Soray Millet, is loved by most birds.

****Hard boiled eggs, are extremely important as a source of protein, and Vitamine D3, and should be offered 2 or 3 times a week.

*** Save the egg shells, dry them, crush them, and offer to your birds. Egg shells, are a wonderful source of Calcium for birds, most especially egg laying females.
You can also get cuttle bone, and oyster shell grit for your birds to offer them extra Calcium.

***The Vitamine D in the eggs, will help your birds absorbe the Calcium, so that they can use it in their bodies. Some unfiltered sunlight daily, will also offer Vit D3, but don't allow your birds to become too hot (so offer some shade as well).

***Green, like spinach, romain lettuce, beet greens, kale, broccoli, parsley, etc. are very important in the Java diet, as are fruits, like apples, oranges, banana, grapes, melons, pears, etc.

Let us know how your birds are doing, and good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:03 pm

SuperSaiyan Feeding eggshell and supplement at the same time is ok! You can add the supplement to water, boiled egg, cooked veggies, and yes adding to rice is OK too. You are more guaranteed the birds get a proper dosage if you add it to the water, though

Cuttle bone in particular is not necessary, but loads of calcium is, and they love the cuttle bone. It's crunchy and crumbles easily into powder and it makes them happy.

I'm glad you're so interested in the care and happiness of your bird, the vet visit was a great idea, and you're sure to learn a lot by asking questions here! <3