Who's making that sound?

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Millenia
Hatchling
Hatchling

Who's making that sound?

Post by Millenia » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:11 pm

I have a male zebra, a male society, 2 female societies, and a spice finch that I think is a female. I keep hearing a low pitch that sounds like a fly buzzing and can't figure out who it is. One pair of societies is mating and nesting and the other three take turns grooming each other. Everyone gets along fine. I've watched videos of spice finch songs and it doesn't sound like that. Is it one of the girls? They have no eggs and nobody fights. They all get along really well. I tried adding a second nest but they all still go into the original nest at night. If I go over there whoever it is stops but I think it's coming from inside the nest. Both society females are in there rearranging. Are they squabbling?

I promise you there is no fly over there. I've looked. :? Any suggestions?

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Who's making that sound?

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:46 pm

Millenia
If it is a somewhat low-pitched whining call, it most likely is a nesting call. Many finches make this sort of call when they go into the nest to roost or get ready to breed. If they lay eggs, they may continue making the calls any time they go in the nest box or swap places until the eggs get close to hatching. Society and spice finches tend to be very peaceful, so it is unlikely they are fighting.

Millenia
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Millenia » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:33 pm

Icearstorm wrote: Millenia
If it is a somewhat low-pitched whining call, it most likely is a nesting call. Many finches make this sort of call when they go into the nest to roost or get ready to breed. If they lay eggs, they may continue making the calls any time they go in the nest box or swap places until the eggs get close to hatching. Society and spice finches tend to be very peaceful, so it is unlikely they are fighting.
That may be it. It's low pitched and sounds like it's coming from the nest. I swear it sounds like a fly buzzing. Do males and females both do it?

Gracie85
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Gracie85 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:33 pm

When male spice finches sing, it's a low, soft, humming/vibrating sound. So I would say it was them. You don't see them obviously singing, since their mouth doesn't need to move a lot like someone with a beeping song. But usually you see them standing tall, head stretched up a bit, and if you can look closely, their throat is moving and maybe the mouth is open a little and moving a tiny bit.

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Fri May 05, 2017 8:16 pm

Icearstorm is it kind of like a whiny whistley sound? like fweeou fweeou fweeou? but high like a dog whistle? My male zeeb keeps doing that and I have a hunch it is a mating call or something. He certainly seems to be in love with my zeeb hen.
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri May 05, 2017 8:26 pm

Millenia
Sorty, I didn't see your post until now. Both males and females make the noise and there does not seem to be a tone difference between the sexes for those calls, at least with my societies go.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri May 05, 2017 8:31 pm

sparrowsong98
I'm not sure what the zebra finch nesting call sounds like, but all of my breeding birds make a drawn out call somewhat similar to your description while nesting or following around their partner (except the female gouldian, which prefers to hiss and scream; she's a bit messed up).

Millenia
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Millenia » Mon May 08, 2017 1:50 pm

Icearstorm

I figured out it is the two societies in their nest, mostly when one joins the other in the nest. It almost sounds like a growl at times but still sounds like a fly buzzing part of the time.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon May 08, 2017 6:20 pm

Millenia

I think it's your female making her own version of the cricket sound that female Societies make.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Mon May 08, 2017 8:48 pm

Millenia, spice finch...without a doubt! I have one little male that trills like the canaries he is housed with, albeit quieter, but the other male buzzes.
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Mon May 08, 2017 8:49 pm

Millenia, or....happy love songs from the nest. LOL!
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

Millenia
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Millenia » Tue May 09, 2017 8:37 am

Shannylee

I've removed the other three finches they are still making that sound. It's definitely coming from the nest. :)

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Tue May 09, 2017 10:31 pm

~Sharon