Greenfinches

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Razasings
Nestling
Nestling

Greenfinches

Post by Razasings » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:32 pm

Hello everyone, I'm having a tough time trying figure out wether this greenie[album][album][/album][/album] is a male or female???
Attachments
IMG_4646.JPG

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Re: Greenfinches

Post by isobea » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:11 pm

Razasings - I can't really tell from your picture, so I found two pretty typical pictures for you. I'll try to attach them. Your bird's head seems unusually dark. Is it a young bird?
Iso
Attachments
Greenfinch female.jpg
Greenfinch male.jpg

Razasings
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Razasings » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:47 pm

I will try to take some better photos in am. Thank you for thoses pictures, I am not really sure how old they are I was given two as gift from my wife. She explained to me that she got them as a pair.

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:02 am

Razasings - I checked some more and it seems that the one in your picture on top might be a young, not fully colored male. The females usually don't have any yellow on their sides or bellies but show the typical streaking.
Did your wife get them from a breeder? Maybe you can ask him/her some more questions.
Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Iso

Razasings
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Razasings » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:24 pm

Isobea- thank you for your comment, my wife informed she acquired the beautiful feathered friends from az birds. The gentlemen informed her they were a pair. Sorry I haven't uploaded some more pictures I will try again tomorrow morning.

Razasings
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Razasings » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:09 pm

Finally was able to post the pictures of the pair, first 3 are supposedly the female, last two are male photos.
Attachments
IMG_4676.JPG
IMG_4675.JPG
IMG_4671.JPG
IMG_4670.JPG
IMG_4672.JPG

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:49 pm

Razasings - Oh boy, to me even the bird in the first three pictures looks like a male (a lot of yellow on his belly/underside). Have you compared your birds to the picture of the female I posted? That female has almost no yellow-greenish color on her belly. Her breast and belly are greyish with the typical streaking (darker grey lines and streaks going down her breast and belly). To me it looks like you might have two young males.
I just checked the green finch photo on the AZ website and that one shows a female. She has a little more yellow on her belly than the one in my picture, but she still shows the pronounced streaking.
Have you called AZ birds and talked about your questions and concerns? Maybe send them some photos.
I wish I could be of more help.
Iso

Razasings
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Razasings » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:57 pm

Isobea- I have definitely thought about giving them a call or emailing the pictures too them. They do seem to be going threw a moult. So I wasn't sure if I should just wait till there done to make sure there colors wont change. The head and back of one of the birds is definitely a lot more grey looking than the other bird, which is why it's throwing a curve ball to me. In this Photo which was supposed to be the male he clearly has a lot more yellow in his Brest.
Attachments
IMG_4676.JPG

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:16 am

Yup, that's a male. Funny time for them to molt, though. Should be in late summer. BTW, this last one is a great picture. Clearly shows the coloring. Maybe you can get the same angle of the supposed female.
Iso

PS: How big is the cage they are in? Greenfinches are pretty sturdy birds that need room to move around and fly.

Razasings
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Razasings » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:29 pm

The cage I keep them in is a 4ft x 3ftx 3ft. They are alone in the cage seem to be adapting well since I've received them from AZ, I don't understand why they would be going threw a soft moult maybe at az the lighting was different, I use a full spectrum bulbs and have my lights on the timer that is the safe hours of daylight in Boston Ma. Which currently is around 14 hours. I will try to get another picture of the supposed female when I have a chance.

jonvill
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by jonvill » Mon May 01, 2017 12:58 pm

HI Raza,
14 hours of daylight is a lot of daylight. Maybe that's why they started the moult.
Here in San Francisco, our day is aprox 12 hrs 45 mins.
John

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Mon May 01, 2017 4:35 pm

I don't know for sure, but 14 hours doesn't seem like a lot of light. Greenfinches breed in Europe where the summer day length can be more than that.

They're in the same family as Canaries. Canaries start to molt some time after the day length starts to decrease--a few weeks after June 21 in the northern hemisphere.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Razasings
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Razasings » Tue May 02, 2017 7:49 pm

I figured that Dave due to the fact that my canaries and grey singers are in breeding mood, so I don't understand why the greenfinches are moulting the only common logic would be they were being housed in a controlled light environment where ever there where before I received them.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Tue May 02, 2017 10:38 pm

Razasings, I think you're right. It may take a year of seasonal lighting changes to get them straightened out. That's just a guess. Once they're out of whack hormonally, I don't know what it takes to get them back to normal.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries