Species Of Parrot Finches...

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Re: Species Of Parrot Finches...

Post by isobea » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:02 pm

lovezebs - Elana, so when will my gift wrapped birdies arrive? A little late for my B-day but I've been told at this age we get a whole birthday month!

w.l. - This is my favorite picture of the pin tails. Is that how you see them out in the wild where you live?
Iso
Attachments
pin tailed parrotfinches.JPG

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:05 pm

isobea

That's my fave pic, too!
I've never seen them in the wild here. They are uncommon and apparently nomadic. Even on the markets they are occasional, sometimes missing for many months, then a huge flock arriving.
I have however seen red-throated and Fijian parrotfinches in the wild, the latter on the lawn in the center of the capital!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:29 pm

Royal Parrotfinch (Erythrura regia)
Attachments
Screenshot_20170426-122203-320x512.png
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:40 pm

The Timor Parrot Finch
Attachments
Screenshot_20170426-123654_crop_640x407-320x204.png
Screenshot_20170426-123654_crop_640x407-320x204.png (127.97 KiB) Viewed 2057 times
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:46 pm

w.l.

What would be your guess on these two birds?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-birds/calgary/re ... nFlag=true
Attachments
Screenshot_20170426-124419_crop_545x395-272x197.png
Screenshot_20170426-124419_crop_545x395-272x197.png (96.86 KiB) Viewed 2058 times
~Elana~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:39 pm

Hybrids

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:22 pm

lovezebs - Elana, I clicked on your link and I have to say they are pretty (the cage is way too small, though!). There is a parrot finch hybrid for sale on our craigslist, not as pretty but also only $25.

w.l. - Do you know if those hybrids are fertile? Don't want to buy one, just curios.
Iso

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:26 pm

isobea

Apparently they are or can be fertile which makes them even worse. I agree they look pretty though.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:03 pm

isobea w.l.

This woman bought them from another lady, who thought they were Red faces for less than $200. She stuck them in a cage and listed them as Pin Tails, with a $300 price tag.

I emailed her, telling her that they were not Pin Tails, so she changed the ad to what you now see.

I asked her if she was willing to lower the price (considerably) and sell them without the cage, but it's a no go. Everything has to go together.

I had thought of them as company for my lonesome Red faced male who is humping everything in sight (and who is infertile btw), but not for that kind of money, and most especially not for hybrids.
~Elana~

GouldianGuy
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by GouldianGuy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:22 pm

lovezebs wrote: isobea w.l.

This woman bought them from another lady, who thought they were Red faces for less than $200. She stuck them in a cage and listed them as Pin Tails, with a $300 price tag.

I emailed her, telling her that they were not Pin Tails, so she changed the ad to what you now see.

I asked her if she was willing to lower the price (considerably) and sell them without the cage, but it's a no go. Everything has to go together.

I had thought of them as company for my lonesome Red faced male who is humping everything in sight (and who is infertile btw), but not for that kind of money, and most especially not for hybrids.
Ah just wait her out. Make a firm offer and if no one bites, they'll be yours. You have time to wait, seems like she needs to move them.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:57 pm

GouldianGuy

Yea, I know.
I'm playing a waiting game right now with this guy who is keeping some Zebras in yucky dirty conditions... check out the link below...

http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=37114

This lady just bugs me. Now I've heard of flipping houses, but flipping birds (no pun intended) just seems wrong somehow. She bought them one day, and the next day she's selling them for $100 + more. People like that piss me off.
~Elana~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:03 pm

I don't necessarily find it wrong, as long as the person takes good care of the birds, after all petshops do the same, too.
However this case sounds silly, with the seller not even knowing what the birds are and both buying and offering them for more than they are worth.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:37 pm

w.l.

I agree completely that this is a silly situation, and I have to say, that I don't like the idea that they may end up in someone's breeding program and mess up the true lines .

There are very few Parrot Finches around my area, and one usually only sees the Red Faced variety, with very very rarely the Blue Face, and I've only seen one pair of Forbes.

Now throw these two girls into the mix,(who just may happen to be fertile), and you may create a big big mess.
~Elana~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:10 am

lovezebs

Yeah, I don't like hybrids either.
They are especially dangerous when sold by, and possibly sold to someone who doesn't even know what they are and may think all parrotfinches are the same species, just in different colors like zebras or societies. Especially where even pure ones are scarce, they should be bred pure.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:31 am

w.l.

Agreed.

If I were to get them, (for example), I know that they would not reproduce, so it wouldn't be an issue, but in other hands these two could definitely muddy the gene pools.

P.S.
I actually emailed her earlier with an offer, and just noticed a reply with her counter offer...
Screenshot_20170427-233320.png
I guess she wants to make her money back :D
There is no way I'd pay $200 [-X
We'll give it another week :wink:
~Elana~