Species Of Parrot Finches...

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Species Of Parrot Finches...

Post by lovezebs » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:51 am

w.l. isobea

Well now I know where they're coming from...
Check this out, a brand new ad in this morning:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-birds/calgary/br ... nFlag=true

This person lists themselves as a 'registered breeder', I wonder with what orginization.

Stupid people!!!
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:15 am

lovezebs

They are talking of bloodlines yet pair up different species...
Well, you could ask if they also have pure-bred birds, if interested. Though these prices sound really steep to me.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:24 am

w.l.

I actually sent them an email, informing them that these are" two different species," (in case they didn't know) and asking them to please not breed different species together. Not that it will do any good really.

I would not get any birds from them seeing as I would have no way of knowing if they were pure bred or hybrids :roll: , plus as you already mentioned, their prices are way too high.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

GouldianGuy
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by GouldianGuy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:07 am

lovezebs

As mentioned in your other post but wanting to also let people know who only read this one... they are the company Birds Inc from Red Deer

http://birdsinc.webs.com/contactingbirdsinc.htm

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:42 pm

GouldianGuy

Yes, and thank you.
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:54 am

Hello all,

Prices on hybrids begining to drop...

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-birds/calgary/2- ... nFlag=true
~Elana~

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:29 pm

lovezebs, gorgeous birds but they are SO expensive. There was a beautiful pied parrot finch at one of the bird marts last year. He looked like a box of crayons that exploded but the poor guy was all puffed up and lethargic. I understand that dragging a bird to a mart is stressful on the bird but I'm not about to pay over $200 for a sick/stressed bird.
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:55 pm

Shannylee

The problem is, these are hybrids, so pretty or not, they are actually not a good thing.

I would take them on as companions for my boy who is not furtile, but not for these crazy prices.

I know she paid close to $200 for them, so she wants $250 to make a profit on them.

So I offered her $125 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon May 01, 2017 10:24 am

She has lowered her price to $190.00 :wink:
~Elana~

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Mon May 01, 2017 10:50 am

I am NOT a fan of hybridizing parrot finches! I sold my pair of forbes, two blue-faced, and eight seagreen parrot finches last Saturday at a bird mart. I wasn't having any luck breeding the forbes and am hoping someone else will, and the two blue-faced I believe are actually males because they make a beautiful nest but never lay eggs. My seagreens are actually offspring from my incredible pair who love laying eggs. I have a pair of peales but have had no luck breeding them...I'm not giving up hope though. I really want a heavily pied seagreen but haven't been able to find one. Parrot finches can be so picky to breed, but they're so much fun.
Stacie
Look up Tweets & Beaks on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Tweets-Beaks-1 ... 0/?fref=ts

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon May 01, 2017 1:06 pm

slwatson

I really like them too.

That's why I get mad when I hear of people mixing up the different species, especially when there aren't many of them around this area to begin with. If you're not careful, you end up buying a bird that you think is pure and end up with hybrid babies (which in all honesty, you shouldn't sell).

The thing is too, that she is trying to sell them for a lot of money, and originally had them listed as Pin Tails. The woman from whom she bought them, had then listed as Red Head (I think she meant Redface or Redthroat, but didn't know any better).

And then this Idiot 'breeder' north of Calgary, who is trying to sell a 'breeding pair of Parrot Finches' for $300. Female is Redface, male is Blueface.... Now he should know better (and probably does know better) that these are two different species that should not be bred together.

I'm just :-L

P.S.
And then there is my infertile Redfaced boy, who is trying to hump anything with feathers :roll: ;))
~Elana~

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Mon May 01, 2017 3:52 pm

lovezebs

I had my parrot finches priced pretty low because I didn't want to be ridiculous about it. I try to sell to people I know will take care of them and not breed them with other species. I saw one guy at this mart who always has tons of cages with different birds. He had what I KNOW was a forbes female, but when I asked, he said it was a male. He also had a blue-faced with it in the same cage, and I was thinking, I sure hope he doesn't plan on selling them as a pair, because they're NOT!
Stacie
Look up Tweets & Beaks on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Tweets-Beaks-1 ... 0/?fref=ts

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Mon May 01, 2017 5:00 pm

lovezebs

If you buy those hybrids and they are of different sex, they might still breed for you.
And how can you be sure your male is not fertile?
Planning to keep them in a cage without nests?

Unscrupulous sellers or ones who don't know their birds often sell pairs of different species here, too. My first bamboo parrotfinch hen was on the market in a cage with a pintail hen as a pair. The seller didn't seem to know they were different species.
I have also seen an African widowbird male being sold with a local weaver as a pair once. In this case I am sure the seller paired them up as he only had a make widowbird. He claimed they were both the same species though.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon May 01, 2017 10:09 pm

slwatson

It wouldn't surprise me one little bit if he did sell them as a pair :roll: .
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon May 01, 2017 10:24 pm

w.l.

I've had some dealings with the lady who initially had them, and she has been trying to breed PF's for a few years now.

If she was selling them, it's because they didn't breed for her. If she has any bird(s) that won't breed for her, she gets rid of them. So I'm pretty sure that they are either two males or two females.

As for my boy .
20150123_133421.jpg
He has outlived three brides in his life time, and never had any children (and not for lack of trying :roll: ). I would just like him to have some companionship of his own kind (more or less). He is a friendly, social bird (even if he is a sex maniac) and lonesome for company.

If by some freak chance something was to come out of these three kids, the offspring would have a home with me for their lifetime.
~Elana~