Black Mannikins

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Black Mannikins

Post by w.l. » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:33 am

My most recent arrivals:
FB_IMG_1493183845204.jpg
FB_IMG_1493183849171.jpg
FB_IMG_1493183853992.jpg
This species is endemic to a relatively small area of southernmost New Guinea, and even after ca 2 years waiting, I had to travel right there to get them!
I returned with 13, but kept only 6, the others going to a friend. The 3 on the pics are the last to leave.
In normal light these birds appear all black, I used flash to bring out their brownish color on the back and wings.
For those remembering the recent discussion if Euro Black Societies, these were the wild relatives used to produce those by crossing them with normal Societies.
Apparently a large percentage of Black mannikins imported to Europe were used for that aim, and relatively few were bred pure, which is of course much harder, too. As a result, they are now quite rare in aviculture there, I think, and I am not sure if any remain in North America?
I, for one, definitely prefer them to any Society!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Black Mannikins

Post by lovezebs » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:12 am

w.l.

They are quite beautiful.
I love those big silver beaks, which contrast so nicely with their dark colours.

What's their personality like?
Are they as easy going as most Societies?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:25 am

lovezebs

They are not Societies!!! :-)
These are wild birds so obviously can't be expected to behave like their domesticated relatives. Having said that, they seem fairly relaxed, perhaps because they had already had lots of exposure to humans having spent two months in a cage hanging over the entrance of a store in a busy market.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:31 am

w.l.

I know they are NOT Societies, but trying to figure out, if perhaps Societies got their easy going natures from their far far removed wild ancestors somewhere down the line :D .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:38 am

lovezebs

These are not the ancestors of Societies either.
That's the White-rumped Munia, from S-SE Asia.
Unfortunately, I am yet to lay my hands on some of those. But I am sure that the curent personality of Societies is more a result of hundreds of years of domestication, rather than something from their wild ancestors.

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:09 pm

w.l. - Wow, they are really cool looking. I love the posture of the one in your last picture. You are planning on keeping six of them, right? We'll never see any of these mannikins here in the States. What a shame. Can you tell males and females apart? Or are still very young? Do they have some kind of song? Any special requirements as far as food goes or can you feed them what everybody else gets?
Iso

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:37 pm

They look like black spice finches, same shape of the head and bill. Very pretty.
~Dylan

~~~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:46 am

isobea

Yes, I am keeping 6.
4 are adults, hopefully 2 pairs, and 2 seem young after first molt. One of those sings so is a male.
But about sexes, especially females, I can only guess.
Young males look like adult females.
As for their song... in true nun fashion it is more easily seen than heard! You wouldn't want to keep them for their song.
So far they only eat dry seed. It should be easy enough to get them to eat at least soaked/sprouted seed, but as they are still.new, I am not pushing this hard.

@Sheather

To me, they look more like typical nuns, white- or black-headed, by shape and smooth plumage.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon May 01, 2017 10:35 am

w.l.

How are the new blacks settling in?
~Elana~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Mon May 01, 2017 3:43 pm

lovezebs

They are doing just fine, except that they only eat dry seeds. They are in a bare cage on their own. One haw been spotted singing a few times.

I got some more feedback on the species on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/groups/132120276 ... 4714246764

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Mon May 01, 2017 6:33 pm

Stunning birds!
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon May 01, 2017 10:07 pm

w.l.

I am not on Facebook, but I'm glad to hear that these new kids are doing well.

They won't touch any live food either?
~Elana~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Mon May 01, 2017 10:21 pm

lovezebs wrote: w.l.
They won't touch any live food either?

No, but that's hardly surprising as most nun species don't. Except for the Grey-crowns. Though the 4 new ones I have of those only eat dry seeds, too.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon May 01, 2017 10:29 pm

w.l.

What's their diet in the wild normally?
Are they strict seed eaters, or do they do some insects like maybe frutitflies? Spiders? Ants?
~Elana~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Mon May 01, 2017 10:36 pm

Other than shooting some to examine their stomach contents, there is little way of knowing, and I certainly didn't do it.
But my guess is that they are more likely to take insects when raising young.
Someone I know who has bred pale-headed nuns in the past said they took chopped mealworms when raising their chicks.