Different finch breeds in one cage

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Different finch breeds in one cage

Post by lovezebs » Sat May 06, 2017 10:16 pm

sparrowsong98

I would never place a lone Society with two Zebras.

An 18x18x30 is good for 2 birds, unless you have only Societies (who don't mind some overcrowding).
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Sun May 07, 2017 7:29 am

lovezebs do zeebs mind two extras? Or will they be mean?
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun May 07, 2017 10:18 am

sparrowsong98

In the 30x18x18, they will mind big time, and yes, they can be very mean, especially with new birds coming in. Poor Societies, won't know what sort of fresh hell they have fallen into.

You will end up with tailless Socies, who will be hounded continuously, might not be allowed to eat or drink, and might even be pecked bloody or worse.

If you set up a bigger cage, I would introduce the Societies in first, then the Zebras after a few minutes.

The new cage, should have several feeding and watering stations in different areas of the cage. Several perches at different heights, running front to back, not sideways, and * very important, two sleeping perches high up in the cage, but at exactly the same height, just at different corners.

Also add lots of fake greenery, creating little corners and hiding nooks, where birds can hide and get away from one another if the need arises. Swings are a must, and more than one.

That would be my recommendation.

Good luck :D
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Alley
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Alley » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:28 am

I'm not a pro, but I wouldn't house Gouldians with Zebras.
Zebra's can be very pushy to the generally laid back Gouldian.
Owned by:
4 Lady Gouldian Finches and 1 Rosy Bourke Parakeet