Java Sparrow laid 6 eggs

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
SuperSaiyan
Hatchling
Hatchling

Java Sparrow laid 6 eggs

Post by SuperSaiyan » Fri May 19, 2017 2:54 pm

Hello,

I want to ask my java hen recently laid 6 eggs its been 20 days since she laid 6 egg but no chicks all 6 egg was unfertile i candled them after 8 days egg laid and my hen was also sitting on them after 9 to 10 i checked their nest box i saw that there was 3 eggs left and i was surprised from 6 egg to 3 eggs and then i candle the 3 eggs left in nestbox and there was nothing inside the egg after that i put the egg inside their nest where it was and then i checked the egg next morning now there was only 1 egg left...she ate all the eggs :shock: after that i put the nestbox out from their cage and now after 20 days i have put it back in their cage...i want to know that is shee too young to lay egg or is their any calcium deffeiancy??? shes the same hen who laid egg without shell i told you guys in my previous topic

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: Java Sparrow laid 6 eggs

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri May 19, 2017 4:14 pm

SuperSaiyan

If a hen eats her eggs, she wants the calcium. Give her crushed chicken eggshells to eat.

I remember you said you gave calcium drops in another topic. A hen will still like crushed eggshells when laying eggs. And it is good for her to have them.

I hope this helps. :)

SuperSaiyan
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by SuperSaiyan » Fri May 19, 2017 11:58 pm

Babs yea i have been giving them crushed egg shell everyday in their seed mix and also prime supplement and cuttlebone too but i wasnt giving them crushed egg shell when she was laying

SuperSaiyan
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by SuperSaiyan » Sat May 20, 2017 12:01 am

But why was all eggs unfertile?

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat May 20, 2017 9:52 am

SuperSaiyan

That happens even with good pairs sometimes. Sometimes the male doesn't make good contact, but the hen gets stimulated and lays the eggs.

If the hen and male are fertile, it is because they are inexperienced. They may be figuring out how to do mate correctly.

Always give your hen eggshells while she is laying. She needs a LOT of calcium during those days.

After her 3rd clutch, you should give your hen a rest for a few months or she could get egg bound and die.

SuperSaiyan
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by SuperSaiyan » Sun May 21, 2017 5:56 am

Hey,
Babs
its been 20 days since she laid last 6 eggs i removed their nest box when i found out as she is lacking in calcium then i give her crushed egg shell and cuttlebone everyday since then now after 20 days i put the nest box inside their cage and she's going in her nest
and one more thing her last male died after eggs laid now i provide her a new male now she already paired with his new male she's sits with him and eats too... :!: :D

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun May 21, 2017 10:44 am

SuperSaiyan

Sorry your first male died. :( I'm glad she is enjoying her new mate. Give her mashed boiled egg with the eggshells if you plan on breeding her again. Boiled egg has lots of Vitamin D which helps her body absorb calcium. ;)

SuperSaiyan
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by SuperSaiyan » Sun May 21, 2017 1:05 pm

Hey,
Babs
I gave her hard boil egg but she didnt eat it she just ignore it and flyaway every of my java do the same thing but I didnt mixed anything in egg like crushed egg shell or anything.can i give her worms???

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun May 21, 2017 1:14 pm

SuperSaiyan

I've read javas like grubs or maggots. I don't know about worms. :?

You can mix the eggshell with the boiled egg to encourage her to try it.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sun May 21, 2017 10:21 pm

You could use a kitchen grater and grate the the hard boiled egg. I take the shell off and cut the egg in half, then grate it. Grate some fresh peeled carrot and mix in. Also can add a little millet seed to it. They also like organic Romaine lettuce and chopped kale. Be sure to wash and rinse greens well before use.

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Mon May 22, 2017 4:15 pm

I'd go easy on the grubs/maggots. Apparently they are super high in fat. A lot of insectivores (and Javas are not insectivores, they are granivores) actually eat mostly adult insects which are much lower in fat.

Instead, if she rejects actual mashed boiled eggs, try some dry egg food. My guys wont eat mashed eggs either, but they love the canary CeDe egg food. They will eat the "finch" version but they put rape seed and some other stuff in it (that isn't in the canary version) and my guys hate rape seed.

I would suggest getting the Canary CeDe dry egg food.

They also make an "insectfood" that is dried up bugs and molluscs, which you might offer as a treat. Javas are not actual insectivores but (as with many breeds of captive and wild granivorous birds) will eat insects when they can catch them.

My mother raised them years ago and we never fed them anything remotely insect-like. I've checked with people who have them in "modern times" and Javas seem to do fine without much or even any insect material in their diets. I don't think the Insectfood is necessary and should be fed, if at all, as an occasional treat, not a daily staple of their diet. They are known as the Rice Sparrow for a reason, and its not that they eat insect pests of rice crops.

http://glamgouldians.com/shop-cede.php

Just a note - Javas won't eat rice in captivity. That is because even in the wild they don't eat rice when it is "mature", but at the green "milk" stage when it is not yet "ripe" for human use. Harvested rice that is then further dried for long-term storage and human use is nothing like the green juicy immature seeds they eat in the wild.

CeDe tells you to moisten the egg food with "a few drops of water" but my guys won't eat it that way and you'll have to dispose of it by the end of the day (some people say to throw out mashed eggs or moistened eggfood after just 3 or 4 hours). So I just feed it dry in a treat cup the same as I would for seed and they do fine that way.

As for calcium sources - I lost a hen to egg binding awhile back. This happened when I was still letting them stuff themselves to their little green gills with all the fresh spinach any finch could ever want, but shouldn't have. They absolutely went nuts over the stuff.

However, it turns out spinach is very high in oxalic acid, which causes calcium depletion.

On top of the free-feeding of spinach, I had removed the cuttlebone from the cage because the holder it was in was just a giant poop-fest. I had to discard the cuttlebone as well as the holder because it was just filthy. Terrible holder! I had not gotten around to getting a new holder so there was no calcium in the cage.

No calcium in the cage + too much spinach + hen that lays even in the total absence of a male = perfect storm, my hen got egg-bound and died.

I learned my lessons the hard way.

Now I keep multiple sources of calcium in the cage at all times. There is a cuttlebone (in the new-improved-poop-free holder), a mineral block (which you have to rough up a bit or knock off the corners so finchly beaks can get a start on it), crushed egg shell, and ABBA Mineral Mix which has crushed oyster shell plus other trace minerals. They will go off one type and go to another on occasion so I just keep them all in there all the time to be sure there is ALWAYS some kind of calcium that they are currently eating in there. They use them all eventually. And I almost never give them spinach any more.

http://glamgouldians.com/product-mineralgrit.php

Note that it does not come in a jar as pictured, it comes in a super-duper-heavy-duty ziploc bag. And it lasts foooorever. My 2lb bag is still more than half full and I bought it over a year ago. I have 2 society finches and 2 parakeets.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.