What kind of finch is this?

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Poe
Pip
Pip

What kind of finch is this?

Post by Poe » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:48 pm

Hello. Hoping someone might be able to tell me what kind of finch this little guy is. Sorry about the picture quality. He's really tiny. He's got like an orange gold on his rump underneath his tail feathers. He's got faint stripes on his chest just close to his wings. His chest is a lightish gold. His beak is orange and black. He has a terrible disposition so far- biting at my other peaceful birds if they come anywhere near him. Hopefully he's just trying to adjust. I felt sorry for him when I saw him at the pet store and brought him home. I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake and bring in an aggressive breed into their peaceful home.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: What kind of finch is this?

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:27 pm

Poe
That is a gold-breasted waxbill. They are supposed to be peaceful, so this behavior is very odd.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:30 pm

Agree, that is a Goldbreasted Waxbill, and they are normally very peaceful. Since he is new, perhaps he is just trying to find his place in the group.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:51 pm

I agree, it's a gold breast - a female and going by the white feathers in her tail, she didn't get all the nutrients she needed before her last molt. White feathers show up mostly in very young gold breasts when they didn't get enough live food as babies (just my experience). I've had several pairs (one at a time) in the past and they've never been aggressive. Don't know what could be the problem with your hen. How big is your cage/aviary? And how many birds do you have in it?
Iso

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:29 pm

Poe

Agree with everyone else about this being a Goldbreast.

I have them in a large flight with some other Waxbills and have never seen aggression from them.

It's possible, that she (being so tiny) is terrified of the other bigger birds, so lashes out in a preemptive strike before they can get at her. Perhaps she'd had some bad experiences at the Pet Shop and has been traumatized.

That's the only thing that comes to mind.

I'd give her some time, to come to grips with the fact that no one is going to hurt her.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Poe
Pip
Pip

Post by Poe » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:46 pm

Thank you all so much for the info and the really quick responses! And yes, she was just adjusting to a new home. She is sweet as can be today. My female gouldian has taken an instant liking to her and cuddled with her last night. Odd for a gouldian but it was very cute.

I have a double flight with 5 birds counting the new one. I have a male owl and male society that bonded after their mates died. I also have a male African waxbill who mate died last week ( I thought the little Goldbreast would be a good buddy for him but the the female Gouldian has claimed her) And I have a male and female gouldian but I've had to seperate the male because he has become increasingly more aggressive to all the other birds especially the female gouldian. He has never been a very nice bird for staters but he's a terror now. I keep trying to put him back in with the others only to have him attack them. I'm at wits end. I'm thinking of rehoming him. Free to a good home. I'm in southwestern Missori if anyone is interested. I just want everyone to be happy. I never thought I could get so caught up in birdy drama! :)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:28 pm

Poe

Glad that things have sttled down today.

Yes, it is unusual for the Gouldian to take the new comer under her wing (so to speak), but a good thing for both.

Sorry to hear about Gouldi the Terrible. That again is rather unusual, as I have not come across any true aggression in my Gouldians (eventhough they are somewhat crowded at the moment). Then again, I'm used to some of the more aggressive species (who shall remain nameless, lol). I would usually class Gouldians among some of the mildest finches around, although I've heard some stories..... :evil:

He probably wants to breed, and wants to get all the other birds out of the way. Or maybe he's just a bit psycho, who knows :-??
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~