What finch is this?

For more specific questions related to the many varieties of captive finches.
Gracie85
Nestling
Nestling

What finch is this?

Post by Gracie85 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:30 pm

Found a pair of these in an ad--what are they? they say black with red in the description, so that's an accurate picture.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: What finch is this?

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:11 pm

~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:40 am

Elana is correct
they are
Dusky Twinspot (Euschistospiza cinereovinacea)

Gracie85
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Gracie85 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:06 pm

How are they to keep--
Do they sing nicely, or more of a yell or squawk?
can they share with others like societies, or owls?
Or a canary in a really big cage?
Or a green singer male (who killed his mate getting too rough during mating season)?

they are at a rescue a few hours away, but near a place we go to.

So interesting looking, but they'd have to fit in somewhere with what I have. Most of my cages are five foot long flights, with a bunch (6-12) of birds in them, single species each, at this point.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:56 pm

Gracie85

The link above was saying that some pairs are aggressive; however, individual temperament varies. Keeping this in mind, they may do well in a mixed flight. They are rather rare and in high demand. Little about their natural habits are known, but they seem to require ample space and live food to breed.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:23 pm

Gracie85

The DT, especially the male is extremely aggressive.
I would not house it with any other species. The males are aggressive even to their mates and chicks.

Read this :

"Twinspot, Dybowski’s
Dybow-Castaner-1
Dybowski’s Twinspot
(Euschistospiza dybowskii)

The Dybowski’s Twinspot (Euschistospiza dybowskii) comes from West Africa and spends much time on the ground searching for food. Females are usually slightly smaller and paler than males. These birds remain very nervous in captivity and are best left for experienced aviculturists. Total length is 4-1/2 inches."
Male Dybowski’s are the most aggressive of the Twinspots and a close eye must be kept on them when breeding. Even their own chicks must be removed as soon as they are independent. They require a good quality seed mix that includes mixed millets and wild seeds, offered both dry and soaked. When breeding livefood is essential.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Gracie85
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Gracie85 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:00 pm

Interesting. Some sources say they're the less aggressive species, others, like this one, say they're the most.

I expect these are domestically bred, from the write up on them, which also says they are 10 months old. And hard to tell from the pictures, the other one on the listing shows both birds, but they may both be female, looking at the eye ring and general coloring of the birds, tho the picture is poor.

they are intriguing, especially as where I live finches are few and far between, so having something like this show up is kind of exciting. (and the rescue fee would be $25 for the pair! plus about 5 hours driving total round trip. sure beats ordering and having birds shipped.)

Would not be able to get up to where they are for several weeks, so they may be gone by then, anyway. Tho that would give me time to rearrange others to clear a large cage for them--could give them a 5 foot long x18x18 square cage if we do some juggling....

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:19 pm

Gracie85

$25 is a great price; if you can provide for them, this opportunity is too good to miss!

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:35 pm

I agree, they are beautiful and hard to find, i would be on the road already :lol:

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:52 pm

Sally,

I do believe you have some Twinspots Sally, what's their personality like?
~Elana~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:27 pm

lovezebs I had Green-backed Twinspots (still have the hen). A much more passive species.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:29 pm

Gracie85 Where are you located? Someone should get these for $25 a pair! I doubt they are domestic, and I doubt they are 10 months old, but who cares at that price! lol

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:34 pm

Gracie85 Here is a link to some information on them:

http://birdcare.com.au/dybowski%27s_twinspot.htm

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:36 pm

Sally

Thanks Sally.
~Elana~

Gracie85
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Gracie85 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:53 pm

They are $25 because they're at an animal shelter and that's their "price" for adopting a pair of finches.
I emailed the shelter and told them the name, and that they were not 'starter birds' and should only go to an experienced bird keeper. Just got a reply that a bird person is coming to see them tomorrow, tho she doesn't think they have this kind of finch experience, but if they adopt them they get a free visit to their exotics vet so they will get the info they need.
I doubt it, but at least with the correct name they can look them up, and if they are experienced bird keepers of some sort, can follow the info and provide what these birds need.
It's 160 miles from my house to where these birds are, so if they don't get adopted tomorrow, I still can't justify going to get them until we have reason to be in that area in about 2-3 weeks. But, if somehow they last that long, maybe....